You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to use Color Picker while doing a color overlay?

Hi all. First off I am a total beginner with AffinityDesigner, I have used Adobe for years and I want to give this program an honest try as it has some great features to it. So a common thing I will do when creating ads or images for website and social media is the color overlay tool. For example, say I have an image and I want to put an icon on it but the icon I get is blue and I need it red but it needs to be the exact red color from my main image. In Photoshop all I would do is double click the icon layer choose color overlay and then click on the color box and it would automatically create an eyedropper tool so I could select the red from the other image. I can't seem to figure this simple thing out for the life of me. I have searched the internet high and low lol. Please help

• Staff

Hi Pixelnerd and Welcome to the Forums,

With the icon layer selected, call up the Layer Effects (by clicking on the Fx icon at the bottom of the Layers Studio) and Select Colour Overlay.  When you click on the Colour option on the Colour Overlay dialog, you can set the colour via the Wheel or by using the Colour Picker on this dialog to select the Red from your original image. 

• 2 years later...