You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.2.0.24606)

Well, I double checked my settings, and I think everything should be okay … but I have sent my files to support (at) seriflabs (dot) com, "Path Text - Perfect Polygon Fails - Matt and Dave". Hopefully this will help …  :)

Just a little follow-up … Arial and Arial Narrow both have the triagup (U+ 25B2) character shown in my first screen shot, but the metrics are different. It is interesting to see how the respective glyphs are aligned on a circle. (A.) shows Arial, (B.) shows Arial Narrow, and (C.) shows the alignment I would expect when using Arial.

EDIT Indesign seems to do it that way (D.) … it looks like you are using a different algorithm to compute the position of the glyphs on a path … interesting to see this, since the results are almost identical when using ordinary text examples. And changing this would have a lot of consequences, to be sure … since the text-on-a-path feature of Affinity Designer performs *so nice* in real world applications, you might better leave things as they are …  :)

post-1198-0-47668700-1429346133_thumb.png

post-1198-0-27819200-1429346140_thumb.png

post-1198-0-90609700-1429346146_thumb.png

post-1198-0-06713300-1429431029_thumb.png

I believe the problem is one of precision. If you drag the path text handle so the triangle moves around the circle, it does so with visible jumps in angle. Even small errors of angle produce large differences of position. These shape examples make them a bit more noticeable than they are with normal text.

You are right, there is a certain precision issue, which gets more noticeable in the experimental situation of the "cross" test … But I certainly don’t want to lay too much stress on this issue, I just wondered at the outset why I cannot align the Arial or Apple Symbols triangle like in (C.) …  :)

Set Active/Inactive layers in AD is very very boring : clic, clic, clic, clic...

I'd like to have the same behavior like AI or C4D.

Thanks for "," !

I lose a lot of time with FX. I would be able to copy/paste only FX.

I can do almost the same with Styles but Styles is FX+Color. Often, I just want FX. Many objects with different colors but same FX. I can do this to group objects in a same layer but generally, objects can't be on a same layer in my designs.

Using "Force Pixel Alignment" and "Move By Whole Pixels" works fine if the object width/height are whole numbers, however if either are decimals then pixel alignment will not work and will continue to use sub pixels. Should this be raised as a bug, or is it expected behaviour? Thanks and keep up the great work guys.

• Staff

Using "Force Pixel Alignment" and "Move By Whole Pixels" works fine if the object width/height are whole numbers, however if either are decimals then pixel alignment will not work and will continue to use sub pixels. Should this be raised as a bug, or is it expected behaviour? Thanks and keep up the great work guys.

If you turn off 'move by whole pixels' you should get the behaviour you expect, I think? :)

Doh, of course. That was a bit of a failure on my part, sorry!

One more problem, bit more serious one... for some reason, I am now unable to drag objects around the layers panel... I can move them on the canvas, but I can't move them in layers. I have tried to reset all user preferences, I've ensured objects aren't locked, I have tried to restart the app and I've tried on a blank canvas.. Nothing seems to be working. Any ideas?

• Staff

You're not the first person to mention this, but it's not something we've been able to reproduce. It goes away for people when they restart... Does yours go away too, or is it persistent? If it's persistent then it might be easier to try to debug... :)

cmd + v doesn't work when editing the name of your slices in the export persona. Right click and choosing paste works but is a pain ;)

I noticed this too, it's really pain when working with many slices. Maybe it would be cool to have some kind of prefix name for the slices.

I often use similar slice names like:

- navigation_up

- navigation_down

Hi ggsm, you must use the Slice Tool to create and transform slices. The "Slice Selection Tool" should perhaps be renamed though … it’s a Layer Selection Tool indeed …  ;)

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/2262-slicing-tools-somewhat-confusing-at-least-to-me/

I still think that this is somewhat confusing … but you get accustomed to it …  :)

post-1198-0-40376300-1429698903_thumb.png

Sorry to say this, but I just noticed I get GUI issues on OS X Lion in the slices list when creating slices (randomly) … looks similar to this one Andrew Tang has fixed sucessfully some time ago:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/5562-layers-panel-still-broken-on-os-x-lion/

I guess he will be able to fix this as well …  :)

Just a quick question, in the previous beta there was a switch fill and stroke keyboard command added "shift + x" and a set fill to none "/". I would like to know if there is a simple "fill" or "use last colour as a fill" keyboard shortcut that I somehow missed? Maybe this has been added and I missed it? I know that it has been requested before but just in case, I would like to request it.

When I draw a perfect circle and put some text on the path, I would expect that the baseline of each character touches the circle exactly at the point marking the *half* of the character width. But this is obviously not the case, as my first screen shot proves.

This should be fixed in the next build. Thanks for pointing it out.

• Staff

Just a quick question, in the previous beta there was a switch fill and stroke keyboard command added "shift + x" and a set fill to none "/". I would like to know if there is a simple "fill" or "use last colour as a fill" keyboard shortcut that I somehow missed? Maybe this has been added and I missed it? I know that it has been requested before but just in case, I would like to request it.

Hi Hokusai,

No, you've not missed it - that doesn't exist yet... There's no reason I couldn't add it though... :)

Thanks,

Matt

Hi Hokusai,

No, you've not missed it - that doesn't exist yet... There's no reason I couldn't add it though... :)

Thanks,

Matt

MattP,

Thanks for the response Matt. I would greatly appreciate a "fill" shortcut, "," (only the comma key would be ideal as I and the other converts from that other vector program have major muscle memory for it)! Thanks Matt!

Hokusai

One thing that I thought might be a time saver over the course of a project would be some way for the app to know if the object you have selected has a fill or a stroke only and automatically activates whichever the object has. For example say I have an object that has a stroke and no fill. When I select it the stroke and fill selector automatically switches to the stroke... or vice versa if I have and object with only a fill. Don't know if this opens up a can of worms or not but most of the time if I have an object with say only a fill, I want to most likely change that fill colour and if the panel is currently set with the stroke in front I have to go to it and change it. It would be cool if there was some way, and maybe this could be a preference check box, to have the app intelligently "guess" that I want to probably edit my fill because the object I have selected doesn't have a stroke...

...thoughts, ideas...? Am I crazy?

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.