You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AD: Artboard in Artboard?

I'm working in a bigger doc with some UI design where I've created an artboard with the main UI like header and footer and to simplify and getting a better overview I'm creating each pages content in a artboard per page. This works great, but I'd like to start testing how it looks together, but this is where I'm not sure I'm doing it right.

I've made my "page artboards" as symbols, so I can switch the artboards quickly for export, but it seems this artboard within artboard, works a bit different. As you can see it kinda "goes over" the artboard of the main artboard. How can I make sure this doesnt't happen? Or are there smarter way to work like this?

EDIT: I can see this goes wrong when I make the original "page artboard" longer as the size is the same on the master. Hmmm 

Skærmbillede 2019-03-12 kl. 21.07.27.png

• Staff

Hi Morten_Hjort :)

Could you please provide a screen recording of your workflow, or a copy of your document and exported assets to the following link so I can investigate this for you?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/AH40YGzibay689OV56Qn

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

• Staff

Hi Morten_Hjort,

Thanks for the file. Putting an artboard inside an artboard isn't the best way to work, as you get the artboard label showing and it then appears shows empty space in the rest of the artboard where the contents are cropped to the first.

I'll speak to development to see if artboards should even be placed as child objects of other artboards.

As for your document the best way to work would be to create an individual layer inside the artboard you want to make a symbol of and then make a symbol of that Layer rather than the artboard. See attached screenshot as an example! 

Layer.png

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.