You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Tattoos For Men Magazine 109

dannyg9

Rolling along in a groove, thanks to Photo, Designer, QuarkXpress, and PDF Expert (no Adobe products involved WHATSOEVER).

Latest Issue of Tattoo Media Ink's "Tattoos For Men" #109 is on sale now. Cover to cover, all photos were processed with Photo. Mind you some of the source material wasn't the greatest, but you work with what you've been dealt. I used Designer to recreate the Title logo, which is also used as footers on the inner pages. It's been almost 2 years since I used Adobe products, and especially InDesign and I don't miss any of it. Dabbling with Publisher and am looking forward to when I can use it side by side with Xpress. I've used Publisher for some small single page projects, but I can't put a 100 page publication solely on it's shoulders just yet. Loving Affinity products.

TattoosForMenCvrStory.jpg

TattoosForMenInkhoreSpread.jpg

TattoosForMenLaNatraSpread.jpg

TattoosForMenKriekSpread.jpg

TattoosForMenCVR.jpg

Thanks Mike. With the thousands of images to choose from I could easily make it a 300 page magazine, but that wouldn't fly with the publisher! With all the amazing work, the challenge is to create compelling layouts without detracting or distracting from the tattoos.

Nice.
I have a few, very minor, issues that might be worth thinking about:
* Are the white glows on the "Inkhore" spread really necessary? I think they spoil it a bit, but that's just a personal thing;
* On the "Frank La Natra" spread, I think some of the text comes too close to the shapes, especially the bottom paragraph on page 52;
* On the same spread, the shape at the bottom-right has the start of a curve at its bottom-left, which is a tiny bit irksome (to me at least);
* The logotype next to the page number on the left-hand pages is further away from the page number than the same logotype is from the page number on the right-hand pages;
* On the cover, does it really need to say "MEN" on the left and "For Men" on the right of the logotype? (Maybe it does and I just don't know why.)
Anyway, like I said they're very minor issues, mere niggles if you will.

Garry,

Ah, the joy of being the only creative working on a project. Granted, I've got a fantastic Editor and Publisher who are part of the proofing process, but no other designers throwing in their opinions/critiques. I miss that. No person is an island. I see what you're saying about the shape on the La Natra spread. Image could have been shifted down a bit so that start of the curve would have been chopped off in the bleed. The white glows were added to the Inkhore photos to have them pop a bit. I try not to use too many effects if they're not warranted, but in the overall context of the magazine, some articles need to be set apart from others and using certain devices helps that. Thanks for pointing out the spacing on the footers. To be honest, this is the second title from the publisher, and the first issue of it that I'm designing and I basically had to "reinvent the wheel" and every single element in a short span of time. Inevitably, some bits will fall through the cracks. I will adjust the footers. As to the cover with the "MEN". . . I have no idea what that's all about. It's an established element from the publisher yet I'm as baffled by you. I did change a LOT of what I thought were really bad design choices from previous issues and that "MEN" will be something I'll bring up for next issue. Hey, it did get your attention yes? LOL!

Seriously though, thanks for the critique points. Very appreciated.

-Danny

You're welcome Danny.

My guess about the "MEN" thing was that the publications might have been designed to be displayed, overlapped, on a shelf with the left-hand side showing so it was easy for people browsing to see which sex each publication was for. But that was a complete guess. Sometimes these things are simply hang-overs from something that isn't relevant anymore, but it's better to ask.

Garry,

"Sometimes these things are simply hang-overs from something that isn't relevant anymore, but it's better to ask." I'm not quite sure if there's even a good reason in regards to browsing shelves of magazines. I'm not completely sure what the target audience is, gender-wise, but it would seem that targeting just men would be cutting off your nose to spite your face kind of thing. "MEN" will be a mystery until the next issue. I'll tell you this much: the Publisher did have me "clean-up" a lot of the clutter on the cover from previous issues, much to the aesthetic benefit of the cover. Sometimes it's not until a client actually sees a change that they notice it's better or, in some cases, they don't even miss what's not there anymore.

-Danny