You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo - Lightroom 6

Good Day To All,

I was wondering as a Regular Adobe User of various products, LIGHTROOM  6 is my main Photo manipulator.

I have heard so much about the Affinity Photo programme i decided to buy it.  This will be one of "Many  Serif Programme's", i have purchased in the past.

I know this will take me a little time to master this!, the question i want to ask is :-

Lightroom 6 Against AFFINITY PHOTO,  is there any competition, and if so, Which way Does the Positives lie.

Hopefully here!!

Regards

Eeee

Welcome @ian nuttall,

I also use LR and AP. I develop mostly in LR, then will use AP much like using PS. If further work is needed, stylizing, or I need to remove objects it's sent to AP. So far I've found AP to play nicely with LR. I think Serif is not in competition with LR as much as with PS.

I have and occasionally will start my developing of RAW images in Affinity Photo>Develop. For me though, since I've used LR for so long I'm just so accustom to knowing how to get my images processed in LR, AP's Develop seems a little more clunkey. I don't like how the panels are laid out for tonal adjustments. For example White point and Black, Shadows/Highlights, having to scroll way down and back up to tweak them. You can't separate them from the Basic panel, or even close the section of the panel up without removing the adjustment. In LR of course we can open and close each section (using Solo mode especially) which makes things move faster, and accessing each too easier.

AP, however has way more fine control in the Photo Persona once you understand how to use the Channels, and a big plus is the adjustments are non-destructive via using masks and layers. Also I will not use LR's Spot Removal or Heal, it's pathetic compared to AP's Inpainting, Healing, Blemish tools. Those are fantastic for retouching.

Finally since Serif does not have a D.A.M. yet (they say they're working on one), I still use LR for that. I've put in a lot of time cataloging thousands of images. I do realize these are never, ever going to portable to any other DAM, but it's what I've got. I tried the subscription plan for about a year, then decided it wasn't worth it for me, so hanging on to LR at least for the DAM.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Ron,g

That was just the reply i was looking for, i have always had that bit missing  in LR, and not sure were to get it from with out paying extortionate prices of PS when i am not a Full time user.

But in saying that, i  am quickly running through the tutorials and can see some fantastic projects ahead.

I  have just read an email article on SPOTLIGHT:  Virtual and Alternate Realities!, very interesting.   I think like we all do, in some way "Tinker" or incorporate other forms of Manipulation in photography and design.

i Also like to use the Full Topaz Programe Range along with, I Call,  the very Manipulative 'Escapist' program  "TOPAZ GLOW/2.

I am so glad i have found Affinity Photo, as like many of us we have other Crafting works or other things to be occupying our time.

Thank you for your informative reply, it was very much appreciated.

Regards

Ian