You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Secondary Textbox Issues

I'm not sure whether this is intended or not but if you create a secondary text box and shift click to populate its contents to the rest of the pages, Publisher adds this new content to the back of the document by creating new pages. If you then add another text box and populate that content with a shift-click it creates more pages again. Basically Publisher keeps adding pages at the end of the document to accommodate new content.

I would have expected that these boxes be added to the existing pages first and not added to new pages at the back of the document.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

51 minutes ago, fde101 said:

This has already come up a few times.

Ups. Thanks. :)

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

• Staff

Assuming I've understood you correct, I would expect this behaviour. If you've added two separate text frames and they aren't linked then it's correct that autoflowing from the first frame would ignore the second and flow into new frames it has created.

If you link these frames it would behave as you expect.

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

6 hours ago, Jon P said:

Assuming I've understood you correct, I would expect this behaviour.

I don't think you did.

Create a new page and put a primary text frame. Insert enough text into this text frame so that when you shift-click the triangle new pages and text boxes are automatically added to the pages.

Go back to page 1. Create a secondary text frame and insert some text. Then shift-click the triangle to add this text the other pages. Instead this new text is added to new pages at the back of the existing pages. These text frames are never added on the existing pages.

I think both approaches have merit.  There will be times when you might want either behavior.

I think the current behavior *might* actually be intentional?

If so, then there should really be an additional modifier you can hold down with shift to get the other behavior.

10 hours ago, cubesquareredux said:

When would you want contents of a second text box created on page 1 to skip (say) fifty pages and continue on page 51?

In a magazine or newspaper articles might start on one page and continue several pages later - you would see "continued on page..." and "...continued from page..." at the end of one frame and the beginning of another.  One page might contain the first part of one article and the second part of another, for example.

2 hours ago, fde101 said:

In a magazine or newspaper articles might start on one page and continue several pages later

This is a case for a manual text placement. A publishing software like Publisher is not capable of reading your mind where the next page of an article should go.

We are talking here about automated way of placing text on each page.

8 minutes ago, Seneca said:

A publishing software like Publisher is not capable of reading your mind where the next page of an article should go.

Agreed - but consider the case where you are adding an article that starts on an existing page but continues on pages past the end of the current document.  Publisher could take a text frame from the current page and extend it onto new pages as a starting point for creating that layout, without adding the frames over top of existing ones in the next few pages.

The ultimate problem with placing the new continuation frames on existing pages is that Publisher doesn't really have a way to know if those frames can safely overlap existing content on those pages.  You could assume that the frames should only be added to pages where nothing overlaps them, but then how does Publisher distinguish between foreground content on those pages (conflicts) and background content (which they could sit on top of)?

1 hour ago, fde101 said:

The ultimate problem with placing the new continuation frames on existing pages is that Publisher doesn't really have a way to know if those frames can safely overlap existing content on those pages. 

Of course it does. You tell it what text fame you want by drawing it on the page.

Let me be clear. I know how to solve this particular problem. If you create text boxes on facing pages on a master page and connect them then things work OK.

That's the method I would use for long documents anyway.

What I'm saying here is that there should be an equivalence, I think, that if somebody doesn't want to use text placeholders on master pages this way should work too. 

See the screencast:

1 minute ago, Seneca said:

if somebody doesn't want to use text placeholders on master pages this way should work too. 

I think I lost you here somewhere.  I am not in disagreement that the behavior of modifying existing pages after the one containing the text box being expanded by continuing it onto said pages should be added.

I'm simply saying that I think there is merit in retaining the option of adding new pages also (current behavior) so that existing pages are not clobbered with the addition of the expanded content.

I believe BOTH options have merit in different scenarios.  I don't particularly care which one is the "default".

THAT SAID, if there were only going to be one of these, then adding the boxes to the existing pages is the more flexible approach, so long as it is possible to move a page within the document.  This is because you could always move the existing page to the end of the document, shift-click to create the required new pages, then move it back, to simulate the current behavior.  With the existing behavior, it is not possible to simulate the one being requested.

On 3/20/2019 at 7:48 AM, fde101 said:

In a magazine or newspaper articles might start on one page and continue several pages later - you would see "continued on page..." and "...continued from page..." at the end of one frame and the beginning of another.  One page might contain the first part of one article and the second part of another, for example.

Yes, I understand that part, but here we were talking about the program automatically continuing the story at the end of the document, on whatever page the end happens to be, not necessarily on the "several pages later" that you have in mind.

On 3/20/2019 at 11:51 AM, fde101 said:

THAT SAID, if there were only going to be one of these [behaviors], then adding the boxes to the existing pages is the more flexible approach, so long as it is possible to move a page within the document.  This is because you could always move the existing page to the end of the document, shift-click to create the required new pages, then move it back, to simulate the current behavior.  With the existing behavior, it is not possible to simulate the one being requested.

Interesting point!

Thanks, as always.

Using macOS 10.13.6 and Publisher 1.9.3

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.