You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

This is probably a stupid question, but I want to buy a drawing tablet and wonder if Affinity Software (Mac) is compatible with all tablets on the market.

Kind regards, Puck

(iMac 2017, 16 GB RAM, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB, MacOS 10.14.3)

iMac 2017, 16 GB RAM, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB, MacOS Ventura 13.6.6 (22G630) - Affinity V2-Universallizenz 

I'd say you can use most to some degree, it might be better to ask about tablets you are looking at or what your budget is.

There are some very competent tablets out there like the XP-Pen brand which I personally use (Artist 12) although I have now ordered an XP-Pen 22e. I have also owned the XP-Pen Deco 03 which was a great tablet. 

Quite a few people use Huion which are comparable to XP-Pen, then of course there is the mighty Wacom brand which can be expensive depending on which model of tablet you buy.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

2 hours ago, Puck said:

This is probably a stupid question, but I want to buy a drawing tablet and wonder if Affinity Software (Mac) is compatible with all tablets on the market.

When I bought AP a few weeks ago I found I needed a tablet. I bought a small Wacom Intuos for $70 and it works quite well. I'm obviously not a pro so you may need some of the fancy features (eraser/scroll wheel on the stylus, more than 4 buttons on the tablet, etc.) that come with more expensive tablets. But for me it's more than sufficient.

I'm on Windows, but Wacom fully supports Mac. 

Forgot to mention; the tablet is small which I thought might be a problem, but it provides a Precision Mode that maps the tablet to a portion of your screen allowing for very fine control.

Windows 11 Pro, XP-Pen Deco 03, AP, AD & APub

41 minutes ago, casterle said:

it provides a Precision Mode that maps the tablet to a portion of your screen allowing for very fine control.

That is so very very useful at times in other (non graphic) applications. Almost worth the price of admission.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Just now, Old Bruce said:

That is so very very useful at times in other (non graphic) applications. Almost worth the price of admission.

I agree. It adds such value to this inexpensive tablet that I'm a bit surprised the feature was included at this price-point.

4 hours ago, firstdefence said:

I'd say you can use most to some degree, it might be better to ask about tablets you are looking at or what your budget is.

There are some very competent tablets out there like the XP-Pen brand which I personally use (Artist 12) although I have now ordered an XP-Pen 22e. I have also owned the XP-Pen Deco 03 which was a great tablet. 

Quite a few people use Huion which are comparable to XP-Pen, then of course there is the mighty Wacom brand which can be expensive depending on which model of tablet you buy.

Help!!   I am also investigating tablets, and am thoroughly confused.   I am on MAC Sierra with an iMac 2017 with Retina 4 display.   When I look at the "what's in the box" for the XP-Pen Artist 12,  it shows cables, but I haven't a clue whether I can plug the thing in because I haven't got an HDMI port.   How did you set yours up?   I note that you are on a MAC too    Did you have to buy an adapter?   The XP Pen site says to use a 30 HZ Type C to USB and HDMI Adapter but their FAQ's are hopelessly unhelpful.   This is getting WAY outside my IQ-level, it seems!!! 

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

32 minutes ago, jmwellborn said:

Help!!   I am also investigating tablets, and am thoroughly confused.   I am on MAC Sierra with an iMac 2017 with Retina 4 display.   When I look at the "what's in the box" for the XP-Pen Artist 12,  it shows cables, but I haven't a clue whether I can plug the thing in because I haven't got an HDMI port.   How did you set yours up?   I note that you are on a MAC too    Did you have to buy an adapter?   The XP Pen site says to use a 30 HZ Type C to USB and HDMI Adapter but their FAQ's are hopelessly unhelpful.   This is getting WAY outside my IQ-level, it seems!!! 

Please see the following post:

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

16 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Please see the following post:

Thank you.    I am now clumping through Belkin's website, to see what I can see.    It could be that I just need to bite the bullet and learn to use Designer with my iPad and pencil.   After all, I bought both versions of Designer!    Learning curves ahead!!

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.

1 hour ago, jmwellborn said:

Hi, a hdmi to thunderbolt connector comes in the box

IMG-2012.jpg

You get a variety of plug adapters, a USB extension cable and the cable that plugs into the tablet display and power plug.

I was just doodling a schematic for the connections but have to pop out but I post it when I'm done.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, firstdefence said:

Hi, a hdmi to thunderbolt connector comes in the box

IMG-2012.jpg

You get a variety of plug adapters, a USB extension cable and the cable that plugs into the tablet display and power plug.

I was just doodling a schematic for the connections but have to pop out but I post it when I'm done.

What confuses me is the picture they show of a cable with three plugs at one end and one on the other.   Haven’t a clue.   You and Alfred are being so helpful!!   It is so nice to be able to ask people who know what they are doing.   Product reviews these days are often dodgy.

Too add to the info, I have 4 older version USB 3 sockets and 2 Thunderbolt 2 sockets in the MAC.   No HDML socket.

To ALL of you: I want to thank you all, you've been a great help!!

Kind regards, Puck

iMac 2017, 16 GB RAM, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB, MacOS Ventura 13.6.6 (22G630) - Affinity V2-Universallizenz 

56 minutes ago, Puck said:

tip.gif If you add your system info to your forum signature, you won’t have to add it manually to each individual message.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I think I'm gonna buy this tablet. It fully satisfies my needs.

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07312ZQC4/ref=psdc_430217031_t2_B0752B7WNF

Bildschirmfoto 2019-03-14 um 07.34.06.png

@Puck Do a search of that model first, there was an issue with some owners reporting it was causing affinity to crash, not sure its been fixed.

I would have thought Huion would have applied a fix to the drivers by now but I'd ask another question related to this.

2 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Do a search of that model first, there was an issue with some owners reporting it was causing affinity to crash, not sure its been fixed.

I will take a closer look. Thank you!

Returning my Wacom (again). In an earlier post in this thread I mentioned that I had purchased a small Wacom Intuos tablet that worked really well.

I guess that's still true; the tablet is great. The driver, on the other hand, sucks. Not for everyone, obviously, but if you've got a system that Wacom drivers don't like you're hosed.

A week or so ago my tablet started disconnecting from my PC. It was easy to unplug/replug the USB cable so I ignored it. Then it got to the point where, occasionally, a reboot was required. Then I had to reboot more than once a day whereupon I swapped returned the tablet to Amazon for an exact replacement.

When the replacement came I unplugged the old tablet and plugged in the new one. The driver software told me I needed a driver update, so I updated the driver; when I rebooted the pen wouldn't work. 

I called Wacom and they assured me that the driver software was the problem all along (which had become obvious at that point), and that I would need to roll back the driver to a previous version. They sent me the list of instructions, which were long and manual (searching for files with wacom in the name and such), and by the time I finished reading them the pen was working.

That was two days ago. Last night as I was practicing with the pen tool, the stylus stopped responding. Unplugging/replugging didn't help. Rebooting the computer didn't help.

Before going to bed I went to Amazon and returned the Wacom, ordering an XP-Pen Deco 03 as a replacement. I'm sorry I had to do this because I loved the Wacom. Reviews indicate that I will love the Deco 03 even more, but it can't do the one thing the Wacom did so well: fit on my desk. 

BTW, I turned off my computer for a few hours (which I haven't done since I moved in 2017 other than to reboot). When I rebooted this morning, the Wacom table's pen was responding (after a couple of unplug/replug cycles), but I could not drag a Chrome window with it; I could drag Windows Explorer windows, just not Chrome windows, and I could drag both windows with my mouse. I don't even know how that can happen, and I've written a lot of Windows software, but it's obviously on the driver level.

On 3/12/2019 at 4:11 PM, firstdefence said:

I have also owned the XP-Pen Deco 03 which was a great tablet. 

I don't know (tho feel some déjà vu) if I asked you about this, already.  Did it broke ? Or you just wanted to use a screen-tablet for all , just are not using other thing, now? (I believe you answered this already; right now am not sure). Strongly interested in durability of these alternatives, very specially in this model and the XP 22E screen tablet. As I only have the data of the extreme durability of Wacom (if well teated).

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

On 3/12/2019 at 7:52 PM, casterle said:

I agree. It adds such value to this inexpensive tablet that I'm a bit surprised the feature was included at this price-point.

Not to argue, but I really believe the precision mode is far from ideal for serious fast workflow in comics and painting... Or maybe is just me. I'd only recommend the small size for photo retouch and vector work ... (and not for all types of vector work), and of course, pixel art. Anything else, I'd go at least to Deco 03 size, from there, up to Intuos Pro Large or a 20  -22 pen-display...

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

7 minutes ago, SrPx said:

Not to argue, but I really believe the precision mode is far from ideal for serious fast workflow in comics and painting...

No argument, I have found the precision mode useful in Non graphic applications. If I want the middle of the image to be bigger, I zoom in which is something I can't do in other, non-graphic, applications. All in all kind of a niche feature.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Your issues with the driver are IMO not very common... That chrome dragging problem sounds to me like related with something very specific of your system.  Have you tried disabling (or enabling) hardware acceleration in Chrome's preferences ? (it's graphic card accelerated, there could be a conflict with that and your graphic driver + tablet driver, dunno... )

Oh, and I don't need to reboot anymore my PC (I have this intuos pro XL (heh, talk about desktop space...no problem for this cheapo ikea thing, tho)  for more than 10 years, now. Intuos Pro 4, and still a wonder. ) . Just make yourself a direct shortcut to SERVICES (type services in search in the windows start menu, or acces to control panel or Windows Settings (the gear icon), can't explain in detail, is diffeent in Win 10 and 7, I still use 7, but I install it, and solve tons of issues in 10 for anyone I know ) to it by dragging the services icon over the Windows task bar, as a fast icon link. (drag the icon there, say yes to create a shortcut).

As in 95% of the cases a reboot ain't needed. Is just a reboot of the service. And sometimes, a system reboot would not fix it, but rbooting the service several times (in my case, in very rare cases) would do. In the services list, u just have to scroll down to "W" , is typically called in most systems "Wacom Professional Service". Right click on it, hit in the context menu "restart". I can't even remember last time when I had to reboot my pc for this reason.

I've realized the energy saving features (specially related to USB devices, like if set to be put in sleep mode after n minutes), going all system to suspension mode,  or having a bunch of usb devices connected (all take energy) seems to increase the issues of the kind of a wacom device disconnecting. But I'd hate that some ppl would think am recommending to not to use power saving features. Just go to advanced config in energy/energy saving plans, see if is there sth wrong there, make some tests.) Sometimes even an app due to using a different library or workflow can disconnect it (I've tested the case thoroughly, not making a conclusion out of thin air. And nope, it was not any of Affinity's. There's a famous drawing app that does it (neither PS).).

Yeah, I smile when some people say that "don't buy an alternative", as their drivers are terrible (BTW, in alternatives, the "issue" is that most people WONT uninstall FULLY the wacom driver previous to install a new tablet's brand driver, OR a new Wacom driver. It comes with certain lousy way to treat tech... People these days prefer just to install, never clean nor optimize.....

I mean, I have zero issues with my wacom driver, but if I come to think WHY is that, the tone of fixes I've needed to improvise with certain driver versions, the service restart fix that I need to use often (is 2 seconds, but a pain if already started a heavy app, as will need to restart for it to detect again the pen. So much that I made also a shortcut in task bar to the wacom panel. If it starts is am good. So, my habit now is to click that, then the drawing app. Useful also to get it handy for any customization per app, as I change shortcuts often depending in what stage am I : painting, sketching, inking...) and etc... 

If these alternatives are ANY durable (like at least 5 years for a 100$ tablet, and about 8 -9 for a 500 -850 bucks display screen ), then I'm sold. Even so, I've my hopes this Intuos 4 Pro XL will last another 10 years more, even if I'll have bought a bunch others in the meanwhile. Things of this quality, I don't sell 'em, I keep them as emergency replacement and or to have an alternative (I don't see myself doing my full 10 hours drawing over a screen...).

44 minutes ago, SrPx said:

I don't know (tho feel some déjà vu) if I asked you about this, already.  Did it broke ? Or you just wanted to use a screen-tablet for all , just are not using other thing, now? (I believe you answered this already; right now am not sure). Strongly interested in durability of these alternatives, very specially in this model and the XP 22E screen tablet. As I only have the data of the extreme durability of Wacom (if well teated).

The XP-Pen XP-Pen Deco 03 was a great tablet and no it didn't break, I just wanted a display version and an offer came up for the XP-Pen Artist 12 that was too good to refuse, I liked it that much I decided to go all in and buy the XP-Pen Artist 22e, my sister already had the XP-Pen Artist 22 and loves it. She does a lot of her own artwork for her books and worked out it was much cheaper to buy a display tablet than pay someone to create art for all of her 20+ books.

I bought mine because I just love art and design.  

2 hours ago, firstdefence said:

it was much cheaper to buy a display tablet than pay someone to create art for all of her 20+ books.

Well, I do that (after illustrating board games (and before video games, and before design...lol...), am mixing the activity with illustrating books) and I clearly see how expensive can it get for an indy author... Even if the book contains just 20 illustrations, and the illustrator is putting it at bargain price. Is still certain money...

21 hours ago, SrPx said:

Not to argue, but I really believe the precision mode is far from ideal for serious fast workflow in comics and painting... Or maybe is just me. I'd only recommend the small size for photo retouch and vector work ... (and not for all types of vector work), and of course, pixel art. Anything else, I'd go at least to Deco 03 size, from there, up to Intuos Pro Large or a 20  -22 pen-display...

I'm a tablet newbie, just developing pen skills, so for me precision mode was a real asset. ;)

Re: size, I found it perfect for my situation. We downsized in 2017 and my office is now about half the size it used to be with, desk space at a premium. I will rearrange things to make space for the larger tablet, of course.