GarryP

Tables - Table Frame Insets still don't work as expected

Windows 10 Home 1809, Publisher 1.7.0.257.

As you can see in the attached GIF, the horizontal insets of a table frame do not match the vertical insets.
I would have expected the gaps between the table frame and the outer cells to be the same when the inset values are the same, as they are with a text frame, but they're different.

This issue was reported a while back...
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/67098-problem-with-table-frame-inset
...but it is still in evidence.

Is this an actual problem or am I simply using it all wrong?

table-inset-issue.gif

Hi GarryP,,

When inserting a new table I can't reproduce this, do you mind attaching the file you are made the gif from? I expect there's some differences in how we have it configured that's causing this odd behaviour.

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

I didn't keep the original document as it only takes a few seconds to re-create, so here's a fresh one that shows exactly the same symptoms.
I've also added another GIF that shows some more strange inset behaviour, this time when the insets are not linked.

unruly-insets.afpub

unruly-insets.gif

Hi GarryP,

The additional issue is just a redraw issue that I will log (an issue that will go away once you force a redraw by zooming in or out for example).

The main issue I can reproduce with your document, but not from scratch. I've created a table that as far as I can see is the exact same as yours, in the same document, but the insets are behaving.

Can you give the steps you are taking when you create this table from scratch? There might be something you are doing but I am not, I can get it logged either way but am curious as to why I can't reproduce this from scratch.

Create a 4 x 4 table

If you select all rows and use the Table Panel to increase the row height the Inset problem does not occur

But if you adjust the rows' height by simply dragging the bottom middle node of the table downwards, then Insets will appear uneven when adjusted

Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be concerned about.

Jon P, carl123's second technique describes how I created the table.
My normal work-flow is this:
* Drag the table out to my required number of columns/rows;
* Resize the table using the handles until it fits the space I want to put it in.
See attached GIF.
I've noticed that if I drag the bottom-middle or top-middle handle, the horizontal insets look correct but the vertical insets look wrong.
Conversely, if I drag the right-middle or left-middle handle, the vertical insets look correct but the horizontal insets look wrong.
Dragging a corner handle has a similar effect but it depends on which way you resize the table.

create-table.gif

Thanks for the clarification both of you 

I've noticed that if I drag the bottom-middle or top-middle handle, the horizontal insets look correct but the vertical insets look wrong.
Conversely, if I drag the right-middle or left-middle handle, the vertical insets look correct but the horizontal insets look wrong.

This is what I was missing! I'll get it logged for the developers to look at.