You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Dunno if this is the best location to post this. However, Corel has just released CorelDraw 2019. I take an interest as a former CD user, now using Affinity Designer, Photo and Publisher (beta). What is interesting is that Corel has released CD 2019 as an app.  And for the first time since CD 11, a Mac version.

Yes, Corel probably had the app and Mac versions under development for some time. But it does seem very timely given how successful Serif is being with its desktop Windows and Mac versions of Affinity and the iOS versions as well.  Whilst Adobe is the main target for Affinity and should be most worried, others such as Corel should be considered as well.

I recall I've somewhere read that they worked about three years on it (the Mac version), in order to provide a full-fledged product right from the start for that platform. - Related to CorelDraw in the browser, that one should appear as a web application and seems to got the name CorelDraw.app. According to Corel, it uses HTML5 and the technology of the acquired Berlin based company Gravit. According to Corel the web app supports CMYK and is intended to display CorelDraw files as well as graphics, annotations or text elements. Non-modifiable items are then displayed as protected by the Web application. Attached will be a cloud area where you can store files. That web app will be then available exclusively to CorelDraw Graphics Suite 2019 customers.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

1 minute ago, v_kyr said:

...CorelDraw.app. According to Corel, it uses HTML5 and the technology of the acquired Berlin based company Gravit. According to Corel the web app supports CMYK and is intended to display CorelDraw files as well as graphics, annotations or text elements. Non-modifiable items are then displayed as protected by the Web application. Attached will be a cloud area where you can store files. That web app will be then available exclusively to CorelDraw Graphics Suite 2019 customers.

Similar to Xara's browser-based version (which likely isn't as far along as Corel's will be).

I'll probably wait to upgrade my CD 2018 version until I see about bugs/bug fixes. I probably will never use the browser app. 

From what I've read thus far today, it doesn't appear that people that have been using CorelDraw in a VM on the Mac can go the upgrade path. That seems pretty short-sighted of Corel right out of the gate for the Mac version. It would be a small token on their part that would only help sales not to mention loyalty.

Found again the source I've read about it (translated: CorelDraw appears for macOS).

...The program appears separately for Windows and macOS. A license can not be used simultaneously on both platforms. Both versions will be available as CorelDraw Store Edition in the future via the respective app stores. But this only affects CorelDraw itself, not the entire suite. ...

This somehow reminds me to something, but what was that? ;)

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

29 minutes ago, MikeW said:

I probably will never use the browser app. 

I have never found these browser apps useful, they are mostly sluggish, slow and pretty restricted. - I'm also not a big friend of placing any sensible (private or customer) data onto out of my control web services or hosting platforms. Generally cloud computing is not really what gives me an overall safer feeling for working with a bunch of data here.