You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Advice on removing unwanted layers in drawings

Hi, 

I would like to ask for some advice on an issue Im having - I am currently creating some drawings for use in a laser cutter.

I am craeting the drawings of multiple smallish pieces in Affinity Designer and there I have to do a fair amount of copying and pasting as I place multiple items onto a size of area that works for the laser cutter. Then I export as an SVG file, save to a folder, open with Inkscape and re - size to original size made in Affinity Designer as it always opens much larger in Inkscape than what it was drawn at before export, I then save as DXF file that then can be read by the laser cutters software.

All that is doable and not too much hassle ( though it would be great if Affinity Designer had a feature to export or save as a dxf file directly ?? ), the problem I have is when it is read by the laser cutters software, it reads the copy and pasted shapes as more than one layer so the laser will do each shape in 2 or 3 complete passes when I only want to do one pass. I think it is reading the copied and pasted work and then making the extra passes.

Please advise on how I can clear any unwanted layers and be reduced to just one layer to solve this issue.

Any advice is very welcome

Thanks,   John

Hi Callum,

thanks for replying so quickly -I have attached an example drawing of the type of drawing I have the issue with where I have copy and pasted multi parts.

I havent got the exact drawings that I had the problem as I was doing quite a few at the time .  The same problem has happened to me before where the laser cutter will do several passes of some pieces and on the same drawing will do just one pass on a seperate area of the drawing, which is why I think it might have something to do with copy and pasting system.

Thanks for having a look at this,

Regards,       John

Drawing problem example.afdesign

You can:
* click on the first rectangle in the group;
* then shift-click on the last rectangle (remember to scroll down to the bottom first);
* then use menu "Layer -> Geometry -> Add" to put all of the shapes into one layer.
Does this help?

Hi Garry,

thanks very much for the help, I have just done that and I will try it on the laser cutter next time I go to the hackspace where it is .

Sorry about the delay in responding - work has been very busy.

I will post how I got on.  Thanks