You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity designer merge

Hi!

I have questions about saving and merching. I´ve watched tutorials and searched the forum, but I´m not finding what I´m looking for. 

I have been working on i quite large project in Affinity designer on ipad. After a break I returned to the project and found that a big chunk of layers now had turned into just one called "pixel".

I may have by accident ticked the merge, however I have no memory of this. I am 100% positive that I did not call it "pixel". 

This destroyed several hours of work for me so really want to figure out what happened. 

It´s not in the history list so my first question is:

If I save a file manually does the history dissappear? 

Does the app save if I press the back arrow tab on the top left? Sometimes things have been missing when returning to projects. 

Does the app in some way merge layers automatically? 

/Andreas

29 minutes ago, ilck said:

If I save a file manually does the history dissappear? 

If you save using the Document Menu, Save a Copy, you are given the option to 'Save History ' and name the file. You then navigate to the desired location, tap 'Add' and you have now created a .afdesign file. Prior to doing this you are simply working on a document that resides in Designers 'Sandbox' , where it can be easily lost and where the file is inaccessible using file managers. Further, after saving the copy, you are still working on the sandbox copy. You need to close it, back out to the project screen and using 'Open from Cloud', navigate to the previously saved file and open it. In Designers Document Menu you will now have a new item, a 'Save' option. Tapping this saves any edits back to the .afdesin file. This way you can copy/backup/share your document. It’s a much safer workflow if your work is important.

Does the app save if I press the back arrow tab on the top left? Sometimes things have been missing when returning to projects. 

Yes, but if you haven't created an .afdesign file as described above, your changes are saved back to the 'sandboxed' version and any app glitches may render your work irretrievable.

Does the app in some way merge layers automatically?

No, you need to use the layer Studios merge layer function. When using Merge Visible to merge vector layers, a new pixel layer is created. The original vector layers should remain below.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• 3 weeks later...