You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Macro files are not recognised

Hi everyone

I purchased affinity photo in Sept 2018 and I have started learning about using them.

I upzipped my macro pack, and went to view, studio, library, import macros, click on the unzipped files and I then get an error message "unexpected macros format"

Can someone please help.

Many thanks.Doc1.doc

• Staff

Very odd. They load fine on mine. Let's try to reset the app.

You can reset your app back to its default settings by holding down the CTRL key while launching the app. When the Clear User Data window appears, click Select All and then Clear. The app will now open.

Be aware that resetting your app back to its default settings will lose any custom settings such as keyboard shortcuts and brushes etc. To backup such settings before resetting the app, please watch our Affinity - Exporting User Settings and Keyboard Shortcuts video.

Hey Gabriel

I am still having problems with Macros.

I still can not open Macro pack I purchased with my Affinity Photo.

I can record a macro and save a macro myself. But not in my library - it will not allow me to.

It will also not let me add it to my library?

I am having big problems with my Macros :(

Please can someone help.

I have reset my tools.

I uninstalled Affinity photo and reinstalled.

Still no luck.

Your screenshot doesn't show a "Default" category.
After resetting the default settings it should be present.

To be able to add your own created macro to the library you need at least a category to add it to.
Can you create your own category?

Maybe it's a directory access problem
Can you access this directory ?
%appdata%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\user

There should exist  a file named macros.propcol

Default category.jpg

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

Hello - no default sitting with the library tab when it is open in Affinity photo.

And yes I can access %appdata%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\user

And can see macros.propcol

Still nothing is working yet :(

And still  will not create a category

36 minutes ago, HVDB Photography said:

Can you create your own category?

??

What Windows version are you on , Build ? Up-to-date ?

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

Close Aphoto

rename the macros.propcol file to macros.old

Restart Aphoto, it should create a new macros.propcol file with the default macros in the library panel

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

7 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Close Aphoto

rename the macros.propcol file to macros.old

Restart Aphoto, it should create a new macros.propcol file with the default macros in the library panel

That was the next thing I wanted to propose, but you were one step ahead ...

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42

44 minutes ago, SalsaGal said:

Oh my goodness - it worked straight away - just sitting there.

Good to know that the rename worked but I am curious if before doing that you tried any of the reset options, as @HVDB Photography suggested earlier., in particular the Reset Macro Library option.

As mentioned in this post, it is apparently the only reset option that affects the macros.propcol file, but it is unclear if it does more than deleting custom Macros.

BTW, it may already be obvious to you, but you can delete the file named macros.old, since it isn't used by anything.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7