You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Awesome PNG Compression at tinypng.com

I've been using tinypng.com for quite some time now, and I consistently get more than 60% reduction in file size with no discernible degradation in quality for 24-bit PNG images coming straight from Affinity Designer. What do those folks know that the Affinity folks don't? Is it a proprietary algorithm or something? Any chance that technology could be licensed and incorporated into Affinity products? I love the results, but's it's a real pain to have to manually "re-compress" the images!

Thanks for listening.

Ha! You think Tinypng does a good job? Colour Quantizer produces even smaller PNG files, AND at a (much) better quality. The problem with Tinypng is that the user has little or no control over the conversion, while CQ includes a simple to use quality mask brush to indicate areas that must be retained in regards to quality and colours. And a slider option to favour gradients versus colours and a threshold for rare colours. Also complete control over the indexed colour palette, including the option to load up your own custom palette. Did I mention the fine dithering controls?

Nothing else comes close to the level of quality control and compression of PNG files possible with CQ. No need for the web, because CQ is a portable 1.32mb small executable.

http://x128.ho.ua/color-quantizer.html

Thanks for the info, @Medical Officer Bones. However, 99+% of the time, I don't want to manually tweak settings. I just want to output for the web, and reducing the file size to less than half with no effort is quite nice. I guess the real question is, why don't Affinity products incorporate such technology? It would sure be nice to get that level of compression without having to resort to another tool!

• 1 year later...

Yes, and with all due respect for refinement in large files, there can also be great value in low resolution images, as an option, to conserve bandwidth, with consequent savings for certain kinds of "preview only" presentations, which mobile devices display. Also an important sector will use digitized tools, also using small displays. Photoshop had great options and I miss them.  Please do add more aggressive compression options for the web images, which give the photo editor so much control at bare minimum bandwidths.