You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Fixed] Global Spot Color not updating in Text Style correctly when edited

Perhaps this is a user error, and not a bug, but it's driving me bonkers. Help!

I have a 20-page publication for a client I handle every other month, and each month they like having a new color theme. I have always handled this by creating a global spot color, and then editing that color each month so that all colors change across the document. One edit, and everything updates! This seems to work fine with everything aside from Drop Cap styles.

I want the Drop Cap to refer to the theme color. I have a special Drop Cap Character style that is linked (supposedly) to the global spot color. This Drop Cap Character style is referred to in a Paragraph Style, which I apply to the first paragraph of each article, with a Next Style of the regular non-Drop Cap text.

EACH MONTH I go through the agony of having to open and edit the Drop Cap color. Otherwise, for whatever reason, when I apply the Paragraph Style, it pulls the OLD spot color from the previous issue, instead of the updated Spot Color. In fact, I have to open the Character Style, select another swatch, CLOSE the style, then OPEN IT AGAIN, and select the global spot color and close the style again for it to update correctly. Nothing else seems to work.

I have paragraph rules that also refer to this spot color and update just fine. I have various graphic elements at various tints that refer to this spot color and update just fine. I even have tables that refer to this spot color and update just fine. It only seems to be Drop Cap that is affected. Please let me know if I'm doing something wrong, or if this is a bug. Thanks!

(I am running the Publisher Beta 1.7.0.257, though this has been an issue for months and I simply haven't bothered to report it. I'm an a 2017 MacBook Pro running OS 10.14.3.)

I am not seeing that here. I exported the Document Pallet with global colour and then made a new document imported the Text Styles and the Document Swatches palette changed the global colour and the drop caps changed.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

On 3/11/2019 at 4:40 PM, Old Bruce said:

I am not seeing that here. I exported the Document Pallet with global colour and then made a new document imported the Text Styles and the Document Swatches palette changed the global colour and the drop caps changed.

Yes, but that's not what I'm doing. I'm 'saving as' a file to make the new issue, then editing the spot color (which is part of the Document swatch). Which seems to update everything to the new color just fine except for the Drop Cap style. It should update all of the styles that refer to that spot color. But it doesn't for the Drop Cap. It still picks up the old spot color, even if in the settings panel is says it is using the new one.

Including screenshots here.

Screen Shot 2019-03-14 at 12.37.34.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-14 at 12.38.04.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-14 at 12.39.47.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2019 at 10:12 AM, GabrielM said:

Hi both,

Sorry for the delayed reply.

I could not reproduce this in the latest build.

Can you please check it again and confirm if it's still an issue?

Thanks,

Gabe.

It appears to still be an issue. I am currently on 1.7.0.283 - in which the assets panel now works again.

Here's what I'm doing every time I work on this layout:

I do a Save As to create the next edition of this publication.

I edit the spot color, which updates all the elements on the layout - even articles already laid out with the Drop Cap applied.

HOWEVER, as soon as I delete the old text in that frame, insert new text, and apply the First Paragraph style to the new text, the Drop Cap color reverts to a spot color used in the original origin file. This seems to be an issue with bullets as well, which also refer to the Drop Cap character style to pull the color from.

The Article Title is the correct color, which refers directly to the spot color, and not the "drop cap" character style - so maybe the issue is having a paragraph style refer to a character style for color? But if so, why is it pulling different colors for the First Paragraph and Bullets?

I've attached screen shots for reference. The only way I can get either First Paragraph or Bullets paragraph styles to become the correct color is to go into the Drop Cap character style, change the color to any other color, close the panel, then open it back up again, and change the color back to the spot color. Only then does it take the color correctly.

Screen Shot 2019-03-29 at 11.05.09.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-29 at 11.04.14.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-29 at 11.05.01.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-29 at 11.06.31.png

I should mention my above 'solution' isn't permanent, as the styles in the panel continue to show as the color they are in my screenshot above, and any time I lay out new text and apply one of those paragraph styles, I have to repeat the process to get it to be the right color.

1 hour ago, Loquos said:

I should mention my above 'solution' isn't permanent, as the styles in the panel continue to show as the color they are in my screenshot above, and any time I lay out new text and apply one of those paragraph styles, I have to repeat the process to get it to be the right color.

No solution to offer but a thought that the Document Pallet of the swatch global colour is being saved to the application. I am sorry to be of no help to you at all, just confirmation that this is broken. I have been playing with this and I think I am getting weirder results than you are reporting.

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

On 3/29/2019 at 7:12 AM, Loquos said:

as soon as I delete the old text in that frame, insert new text, and apply the First Paragraph style to the new text, the Drop Cap color reverts to a spot color used in the original origin file.

On 3/29/2019 at 7:12 AM, Loquos said:

The only way I can get either First Paragraph or Bullets paragraph styles to become the correct color is to go into the Drop Cap character style, change the color to any other color, close the panel, then open it back up again, and change the color back to the spot color. Only then does it take the color correctly.

"spot color used in the original origin file." I would argue that it is the original colour in the Paragraph Style which is inherited from the Character Style. In my tests I have to follow the second quote to change the colour. One thing not mentioned by Loquos is that the Character Style has "Whatever Named" Global Colour is listed as the Text Fill colour, but has no effect until changing and closing, opening and changing the Character Style.

One thing I found quite interesting is after I had set up a global colour (red) and applied it to the Drop Cap Character and thence to the Paragraph Style the (red) colour was stuck on all subsequent documents if you had Show samples in the Text Styles studio. Here is a picture for clarity.

1407514741_DC01f.thumb.jpeg.53dd9bd56f091a50503d916d86218dfe.jpeg

Note the red D in the Text Styles. This will stick probably for ever to the Paragraph style and is the source of the problem. Neat Bug you found Loquos.

5 hours ago, GabrielM said:

I still don't see t issue. I'm wondering if I'm doing it in a different way? 

Near as I can tell is you are adding text with the drop Cap Paragraph style chosen beforehand. I add text with a basic paragraph style chosen. Also I would ask you to change from the Drop Cap Paragraph style to another Paragraph style and then back to the Drop Cap one. I will wager that the colour will revert to the red as it is in the Text Styles Studios.

You are not applying the Drop Cap Paragraph Style to a 'plain' Paragraph Style.

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

We believe the issue ("Global Spot Color not updating in Text Style correctly") has been fixed in the latest Affinity Publisher beta and should not occur in the initial release of Affinity Publisher next week.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.