You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Vector rasterized when placed inside picture frame

Hi,

I hope this is not a double report but I didn't find something via search.

I just did some basic posters in publisher with images and logos. As I exported the publisher document as PDF for print the logos where rasterised (which is not so good as they loose sharpness). I did a bit research and found out that this only happens if the logos are placed inside a picture frame. If I take the same vector file and place it as simple image the export is not being rasterised.

To me this doesn't look like a normal behavior so I posted it in this forum and I attached some of the files.

Test_Publisher.pdf

Test_Vector.afdesign

Test_Publisher.afpub

1 hour ago, PeterB. said:

To me this doesn't look like a normal behavior

To me it would be expected behaviour, but I use the picture frames for pixel stuff exclusively and just use the vector stuff as is so to speak. Seeing as they are both images though I understand your reaction, perhaps it should be your way but I see many problems with programming the ability to discern when to do one or the other not to mention the fact that there are pdfs with both being imported.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

hm... I'm using picture frames for placing content like logos mostly because of the way easier positioning (scale to max fit, center point positioning, etc.) and cropping. This way I've been doing it for years now in other software like InDesign or QuarkXpress. That's why I thought it may be just a bug or so :7_sweat_smile:

41 minutes ago, PeterB. said:

That's why I thought it may be just a bug

Could well be, as I said they are both image types, so your expectation is fundamentally valid. Maybe a future request is in order if this rastering is expected and the way it works now.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

2 hours ago, PeterB. said:

hm... I'm using picture frames for placing content like logos mostly because of the way easier positioning (scale to max fit, center point positioning, etc.) and cropping. This way I've been doing it for years now in other software like InDesign or QuarkXpress. That's why I thought it may be just a bug or so :7_sweat_smile:

I would expect it to be that way too, Peter.

6 hours ago, PeterB. said:

...This way I've been doing it for years now in other software like InDesign or QuarkXpress. That's why I thought it may be just a bug or so :7_sweat_smile:

Neither ID or QXP have separate frames for text or images. The frames "type" will change depending upon the content. QXP can switch the content type at will if a new type of content is dropped in or imported. 

The picture frames that APub has (similar to what Xara products have for a few versions) are different to the frames in ID/QXP. I am uncertain what I think of APub's picture frames. I'm not certain if I would have a use for them.

I dunno  whether this is actually a bug--at this point I have seen/read little from Serif as to what to expect with them. Unless they are actually designed to keep vector as vector, though, then this would be intended behavior.

I did a bit research and experimented with different ways for placing the same vectors in publisher. The more I test the more it looks to me that there is something not right with flattening(?)... there is no need to convert a native vector (moved inside a rectangle) into a pixel graphic... I used a low 36 DPI export just to see quick what is being rasterised.

Test_Publisher2.pdf

Test_Publisher2.afpub

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.