You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is it possible to insert the page number of a given layer into text?

I have some text where, at the moment, it reads something like this:
"If you would like more information on this, turn to page ## to see full details."
Once the document is pretty much complete I then go through the whole thing searching for ## and manually insert the real page number. Not a massive task for what I need to do, but still a bit of a chore and things can get overlooked.
Does Publisher have an "Insert the page number of this selected layer at this position in the text" function?

I've had a look in the Help but I can't see anything relevant.

P.S. The page number must automatically update if the page number of the layer changes, otherwise the result would be worse than manually searching for ##.

I believe this falls into the category of "cross-references" which we were already told not to expect in the first release; however...

It seems to me that this shouldn't be all that different from inserting hyperlinks pointing to an in-document anchor, other than the fact that it does have the potential to force text to reflow if the page number changes, so they would need to account for that.

It would actually be nice to have a feature to insert the page number of a specified anchor in the text, as a field, particularly if it can be combined with the hyperlink feature - ex. checkbox to add " (page ##)" after a link when creating it, so that the relevant information is present for both printed and electronic copies of the document.

At this point all we have is hyperlinks, and so a specific page number can't be supplied. A generic "turn to this page" could be used, with "this page" being a link to the relevant location.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

What we need is an Link paired to an Anchor  which is the Page Number of that Anchor. We would need to be able to generate these and have them in a list which could be edited, meaning we could delete them from the list and they would be deleted from the text and we could find the unmatched Links and unmatched Anchors created by sloppy/inadvertent editing of the text.

Placing one would load the clipboard or the text caret with the other. Or maybe it would just be in the yet to be created list of Anchors/Links.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

This would be nice if we could have it but, since it doesn't look like it will be a first-release item, that's fine - I can live without it.
(I should have said that the document is printed, so hyperlinks aren't useful in this case.)
The TOC and index can already create a numerical page reference to a piece of text so extending that functionality to something more general could be something that comes in 1.8... perhaps.
Anyway, now I know it isn't possible yet I can just continue doing what I was already doing. Thanks.