You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can't let Adobe go...Yet!

I cannot let go of PS yet as there are too many UI function not yet in AP like the following:

1) Ability to show brushes in other than list mode.
2) Ability to accept patterns in FX
3) Ability to change guide / grid colours
4) Plugins still not yet fully developed
5) Importing of styles from PS
6) No Filter gallery
7) Really hard to select tab movement in UI using wacom tablet
8) Ability to toggle through brushes
9) No true duotone feature
10) No colour match feature
11) No ability to multistroke masks as in PS (advised of this in previous post with regard to composition work).

Some of these are more wish list but the absense of some of the above is what keeps me tied to PS for now. I also appreciate some of these may be in development or being considered.

3 hours ago, Raymondo said:

No ability to multistroke masks as in PS (advised of this in previous post with regard to composition work).

Can you expand on this? I can use a brush on a mask and it works as expected; I can build up the mask using multiple strokes. I presume you refer to something else.

Windows 11 Pro, XP-Pen Deco 03, AP, AD & APub

Hi casterle

Not very easy to explain in words so I'm going to suggest you look at the video I've found on the web which really shows exactly what I mean (I don't do videos myself).  Fast forward to around 13.30mins and watch until around 14.30 mins. I think once you see this you will know exactly what I mean. Sure you can use a brush but this is a much better/smoother and faster way when you are compositing. At the moment this is not possible in AP. Response from Dev team some while back when I first raised this didn't seem to indicate this was being considered, I can only hope the Dev team will pick up this post and revisit this lack of function in AP with a view to developing and implementing this in the near future.

12 hours ago, Raymondo said:

Not very easy to explain in words so I'm going to suggest you look at the video I've found on the web which really shows exactly what I mean

You can do this in AP using a mask. Create a Layer Mask then Alt-Click on the mask's thumbnail so you can edit the mask directly. Then select the Gradient tool and draw the gradient on the mask. You can add edit the gradient to create the effect you want. 

This isn't as easy in AP, especially because gradients aren't editable, at least as far as I can tell.

Casterie, I say this with respect but I'm not sure you are understanding what i’ve shown you in the video. Of course you can set a mask and apply a gradient in AP but what you can only do is apply one gradient from one direction and you can’t apply gradient stroke over gradient stroke. Only way to achieve same sort of function in AP is that you have to apply more and more masks to stroke from different directions. It’s not practical for composition work.  The gradient masks way of working is too long, cumbersome and not flexible enough for professional composition.

Sorry don’t mean to sound disrespectful so please don’t take my comments the wrong way.

2 hours ago, Raymondo said:

Casterie, I say this with respect but I'm not sure you are understanding what i’ve shown you in the video. Of course you can set a mask and apply a gradient in AP but what you can only do is apply one gradient from one direction and you can’t apply gradient stroke over gradient stroke. Only way to achieve same sort of function in AP is that you have to apply more and more masks to stroke from different directions. It’s not practical for composition work.  The gradient masks way of working is too long, cumbersome and not flexible enough for professional composition.

Sorry don’t mean to sound disrespectful so please don’t take my comments the wrong way.

No worries, and I did understand what you wanted to do. I didn't elaborate, but you understand that you can do multiple masks. So the bottom line is that you can indeed do in AP what you saw in the video.

I take your point that it is not nearly as easy or convenient in AP and I even mentioned that. The lack of gradient editability is a major drawback (and there may be a way to edit them that I am as yet unaware of).

So this is something I hope Affinity has on the AP to-do list. I'd like a much better approach to gradient masking.

image.png