GarryP

Tables - Decorations tab in Character panel can change cell border formatting

Windows 10 Home 1809, Publisher 1.7.0.257.

I'm not sure if this is a feature or a bug so I'll ask the question.
When I have a cell or a number of cells in a table selected, I can change the border - of whichever border-selection is currently selected in the Table panel - of those cells via the Decorations tab of the Character panel.
Is this something that was deliberate?
It's a kind-of-nice short-cut if I don't have the Tables panel open - even though I can't choose which border selection I want from the Character panel - but I don't know if having it at the Character level is appropriate.
I'm not sure where would be a better place, it just seems a bit odd.

Yes, it is a feature and it is a VERY NICE feature. :)

Best regards,

Petar Petrenko
Typesetter, Graphic Designer, Photographer
Skopje, Makedonija

Windows 10 x64 Pro
Dell Inspiron 7559 i7
Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M )
16GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600MHz (8GBx2)
1TB HDD + 128 GB SSD Hard drive
UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED- Backlit Touch Display
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5

My concern is about where the control is situated.
It allows the formatting of something that is two 'levels' above the context of the Character panel - those 'levels' being (as I see them): Character; Paragraph; Table Cell; Table Frame; (whatever the table frame is in, if anything); Document.
Being able to alter the formatting of a Table Cell via the Character panel is analogous to being able to alter the margins of the Document via the Table panel. It just doesn't seem right to me.
I think it would be a shame if something like this set a precedent for the future of the UI.
I think we should be using the Table panel for formatting the table/cells and the Character panel for formatting characters. Having functionality 'leaking' over like this could lead to some major confusion further along the road. Better to keep things simple, at the start at least.

4 hours ago, GarryP said:

Being able to alter the formatting of a Table Cell via the Character panel is analogous to being able to alter the margins of the Document via the Table panel. It just doesn't seem right to me.

Assuming that is in fact what it is doing, I agree.

The fact that the outline around multiple cells changes seems to be rather definitive proof that this is indeed impacting cell borders rather than being a character border that happens to overlap the cell borders.

To me that looks like a design goof rather than a bug.