You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Color Profiles: Assign instead of Convert colors as default

While running the AD beta I noticed that CMYK values change when changing the color profile in Document Setup. Asking about this in the beta forum for Mac a user told me that in Document Setup you just have to remember to change this if applicable. This is a bit scary.

This is asking for trouble and not something you want in a professional and busy print environment. If someone forgets to Assign and instead have AD convert colors to match a certain color profile (as this is the default setting), this can have huge impact on a print run and cause financial damage / losses. A lot of printers use custom color profiles for their offset print settings, certain kind of paper and/or inks. If I forget to select Assign instead of Convert my work is ruined.

For instance: a graphic with CMYK values 80/60/30/0 in Euroscale Coated changes to CMYK 74/59/20/11 in Coated FOGRA39, actually a completely diferent color.

If I work in a FOGRA39 document layout for a certain client which uses particular brand colors, this graphic will not match other graphics in the same brand color as AD changed the CMYK values. The graphic will be processed according to the color profile of the document layout, so the particular graphic will undergo yet another color change as it does not have a matching color profile.

I strongly recommend adding a default setting which appends / assigns a color profile instead of the default Convert.

At least make this setting stick in Document Setup — if I click Assign I don't want it to have it revert back to Convert.

1832575238_Screenshot2019-03-11at12_42_14.thumb.png.528a63fa458cdfaf4c979a9dd320c042.png

2034478706_Screenshot2019-03-11at12_43_30.thumb.png.4bffa4d083ea1c1a2b451af7d5cbebb0.png