You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Nik plugin updating fonts

I began using the plugin after installation and when I start an action...any action, a "updating fonts" box appears with a spinning wheel. I have an over abundance of fonts, so I let it run thinking it would take longer than normal. That was 10 hours ago. Can anyone advise? See attached screenshot.

Thanks

945234793_ScreenShot2019-03-10at7_38_23PM.thumb.png.e88f2e254f2fea27d97a7a37205d8666.png

Edited by steverdezines

Hi Steverdezines

Unfortunately Nic Collection does not work with the current 1.7 beta. I think there has been a number of discussions on this in the forum. Serif changed the code under the hood to make the software better function but in changing the code it has interferred with the Nic software compatibility. I'm not wholly sure but some people seem to say it works for them using the windows version. However the Mac version does not work currently. There appears to be conflicting views that Serif should sort it out and others seem to say DxO should update there software to latest code practice. So until someone takes responsibility I'm afraid like me you will have to use Nic as a standalone which you can do for now.

14 minutes ago, Raymondo said:

Serif changed the code under the hood to make the software better function

I don't think this is quite accurate.

The issue they reported is that they are building the programs using a newer version of Apple's development tools, and the development tools now build the code in such a way that it is no longer compatible with some of the existing plugins (guessing something changed at the ABI level?).  Evidently the plugins are built using an older version of the development tools and they don't get along.  Chances are they will become incompatible with newer versions of Photoshop too if they don't fix that, once Adobe eventually switches to the newer development tools.

Thanks for the update fde101. Well maybe then Serif needs to contact DxO and collaborate with them to resolve the issue. The sooner Serif advises them of the compatibility issues and what they are, the sooner DxO may well update the software. I doubt they will respond as well to Joe bloggs as they might to Serif.

38 minutes ago, Raymondo said:

I doubt they will respond as well to Joe bloggs as they might to Serif.

Only if Serif happens to be a customer... if Joe is the one they are getting income from they should hopefully be interested in providing him with support, hoping he continues to provide them with income in the future...

That said, the plugins do work with the release version of Photo, and the most recent version of the Nik plugins DxO released actually include an Affinity Photo compatibility fix as one of the changes, so it seems they are interested in having it work with Photo - they might hurry on this a bit more once 1.7 is actually released; granted it would be even better if they were ready on time for the release.

• 2 weeks later...

Not all of Nik plugins work alone. Besides, you would like to use the plug in and return to the software. That's why they are plugins. I think this falls on Sarif, since the plugins worked in version 1.6 as some people have stated.

1 hour ago, Joe325 said:

I think this falls on Sarif, since the plugins worked in version 1.6

By that logic, you could argue that it falls on Apple, since they evidently made changes to the development tools which cause new software to be incompatible with old plugins.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

With the 1.7.0.123 it's a little better now, you see the Nik plugin launched and you can work with it but the updating fonts box appears with a spinning wheel that never end on the front of Affinity Photo. Affinity Photo is blocked with this "updating fonts box". You need force quit the app :(

Thanks

• Staff

Hi Claude_ch,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
This is a known issue when using the Customer Beta on Mac (they currently work on the retail version with a few issues). As explained above this is due to the use of a new version of Xcode (Apple development tools) to build our apps. There isn't much we can do here for the moment. We will try to contact DxO to see if we can get this working again.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.