You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

May I ask what should be here the difference between saving and exporting in terms for later reusage?

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

2 hours ago, TomM1 said:

Is it possible to export a single macro after it has been recorded and saved?

Right-click on the macro in the Library panel and choose Edit Macro. Then in the Macro panel, click the Export icon.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, v_kyr said:

May I ask what should be here the difference between saving and exporting in terms for later reusage?

What I mean by saved, is saved to the library.

website

Mac mini (2018)  3.2 GHz Intel Core i7  64 GB • Radeon Pro 580 8 GB • macOS Monterey

1 hour ago, v_kyr said:

My thought: "Saving" is what you do if you want to keep a macro after you've recorded it. You use the "Add to Library" icon in the Macro panel.

Exporting is what you do to transfer it someplace else, or make a backup copy for long-term storage. You could do that to an individual macro (see my response in the prior post) or you can export an entire category of macros via the Library panel.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

15 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Right-click on the macro in the Library panel and choose Edit Macro. Then in the Macro panel, click the Export icon.

That gives me a .afmacro file. If I change it to .afmacros AF does not recognize it for import.

website

Mac mini (2018)  3.2 GHz Intel Core i7  64 GB • Radeon Pro 580 8 GB • macOS Monterey

2 minutes ago, TomM1 said:

That gives me a .afmacro file. If I change it to .afmacros AF does recognize it for import.

A single macro must be a .afmacro file. You would import it using the Macro panel.

-- Walt
PC:

I am able to export a category containing the macro I want to export.

Import the category, move the desired macro to an existing category .

Then delete the last imported category.

website

11 hours ago, TomM1 said:

That gives me a .afmacro file. If I change it to .afmacros AF does not recognize it for import.

As you probably know by now, the .afmacro & .afmacros file formats are different, so just changing the file extension from one to the other won't work. An .afmacro file always includes only a single uncategorized macro, while an .afmacros file always includes zero* or more macros in a single category.

* If you were wondering, it is possible to create an .afmacros file with zero macros in it, but importing it into the Library does nothing -- no new category is created.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

3 hours ago, R C-R said:

As you probably know by now, the .afmacro & .afmacros file formats are different, so just changing the file extension from one to the other won't work. An .afmacro file always includes only a single uncategorized macro, while an .afmacros file always includes zero* or more macros in a single category.

* If you were wondering, it is possible to create an .afmacros file with zero macros in it, but importing it into the Library does nothing -- no new category is created.

I also thought it was odd that the .afmacro file had no Affinity icon where as the .afmacros file does.

website

afmacro files don't have an associated icon and if they had, it would probably be a good idea to distinguish those icons then visually from the other ones, in order to less irritate users between both of those macro file extensions and their overall usage handling.

macros.jpg.805124b5d9d3a6879ff49a569c1d3e02.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

6 hours ago, TomM1 said:

I also thought it was odd that the .afmacro file had no Affinity icon where as the .afmacros file does.

I am not sure if something similar applies to Windows but for Macs .afmacros files are assigned an Affinity icon for a good reason: they can be imported into the Library Studio panel simply by double-clicking on them in Finder. This is not true for .afmacro files, which can only be imported into the Macro Studio panel when a document is open.

This also is true for the Affinity Photo customer beta if it is installed -- if it is, right-clicking on an .afmacros file displays both apps in the "Open With" submenu.

This 'binding' of the .afmacros file type to Affinity Photo is created by an entry in the app's info.plist file, which the Mac OS reads so it can assign the app's "PhotoAppIcon" icon & the Kind label of "Affinity Library" to Finder windows, display the appropriate "Open With" items, & so on. It is the same mechanism that allows Finder to associate (bind) various file types like jpg, svg, psd, pdf, & quite a few others to an Affinity app.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 4 months later...

Ok, 

I am having an issue with this. I am trying to right click on the macro and it is very hit or miss if anything comes up. On the odd occasion I do get the right click options... such as edit macro etc. When I select Edit macro nothing happens! Is there any other way to export a Macro?

In my experience, you can only choose “Edit Macro...” if there is an open document.

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17