You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Major problems with text

Since the last beta 1.7.0.249 laying down and formatting text is a nightmare. Opening the frame text box the curser is placed on top of the box outside. Sometimes the first letter of each line is capitalised. Selecting a block of text is very tricky and it shouldn't be. Text inside a frame text box does not move with the box. Paragraph spacing is also very tricky and takes a lot of patience to get it as needed. 

Not sure what is going on but this version is just not working very well at all.

17 hours ago, Riverpiper said:

Sometimes the first letter of each line is capitalised.

For this it may be that your Preferences > Auto-Correct is set to "Capitalize first letter of sentences" 

prefs.thumb.jpeg.10019dfeedd212f7dfffb6232e5b31cf.jpeg

The other things sound like they may be a series of Paragraph style settings. Regardless there is a newer version of the beta available. Here is the download link https://affinity.store/update/macos/publisher-beta/1/ (for Mac).

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I have been keeping right up to date with all the versions and have just dowloaded 1.7.0.257. The problems still exist. At the moment I have not seen anyone else experience these problems. Probably the most odd is when I choose a new Frame Text Tool the curser sits on top of the box. The box then disappears when I start typing with the text obviously in the wrong place.

At other times when I drag the Frame Text Tool on to the page text next to the box is highlighted. I have been using Affinity Publisher Beta since it first arrived and did experience similar problems in the beginning. Up until the last two versions Publisher has worked quite well.

I have no styles selected. Setting a text box on to the canvas should not have the problem of the curser not starting top left inside. This problem does not exist on new documents its just with the current one I'm working on. 

12 hours ago, Riverpiper said:

I have no styles selected. Setting a text box on to the canvas should not have the problem of the curser not starting top left inside. This problem does not exist on new documents its just with the current one I'm working on. 

That's an indication that you probably have some settings incorrect in the document. If you could provide the document that might help. 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I think most applications would move the text down in the box to make room for the superscript text to fit inside.  Publisher obviously does not.  This is not necessarily a bad thing, but something that can obviously throw people off as they are not accustomed to seeing it.

Assuming this behavior is retained, it is probably worth drawing attention to in a tutorial video or similar location so that when people do encounter this they know what to look for?

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.