You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher beta V1.7.249,
I have just re-set a 200 page illustrated book I did a few years ago using Indesign. Typesetting requirements were about as demanding as it gets and Publisher passed with flying colours.

Just a few refinements and Publisher would become my default pre-press system…

1. Scroll bars: Both Publisher and Photo: Yes, keeping down visual clutter is so important but depending on the view often these bars are almost impossible to see, appearing almost the same color as the background. I find I have to stop work to go hunting for them.
2. Guide Manager: I don’t like filled in columns as guides because it changes how images display. Unfortunately, the option to  display  guide outlines only works for the current session, upon reboot tit defaults to the filled option.
3. Resource Manager: If I remove images from a document and linked folder Resource Manager thinks they’re still there. Every time I boot it tells me they’re missing and asks if I want to locate them.
4. Move Tool: Shortcut ‘V’ will not work if I want to switch from Frame Text Tool mode, I must manually select it…slowing workflow.

On 3/10/2019 at 7:08 PM, basil said:

4. Move Tool: Shortcut ‘V’ will not work if I want to switch from Frame Text Tool mode, I must manually select it…slowing workflow.

Hit Escape.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Sorry, didn't mention I'm on a Mac and Escape doesn't seem to work but I just discovered in trying another option that Publisher crashes. If I hit T then hit V again without making a text change Publisher crashes, every time.

@basil: Unless you want to attract the attention of spammers I strongly recommend changing your username to something other than an email address. To change it, go to your Account Settings page and click on the ‘Display Name’ link.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

On 3/10/2019 at 12:08 PM, Basil said:

2. Guide Manager: I don’t like filled in columns as guides because it changes how images display. Unfortunately, the option to  display  guide outlines only works for the current session, upon reboot tit defaults to the filled option.

This is already reported and listed as fixed in the newest beta released last Friday. The option you pick wasn't being saved before. Is it working for you in the latest beta?

On 3/10/2019 at 8:11 PM, Basil said:

Thanks Jock?

If you mean me, my name is Alfred, not Jock! And I’m not even Scottish: Scotland just happens to be my location.

Speaking of location, Basil, how do you manage to be in Auckland, NZ, and Tucson, AZ, at the same time? :/

Alfred spacer.png

On 3/10/2019 at 3:31 PM, Basil said:

Sorry, didn't mention I'm on a Mac and Escape doesn't seem to work but I just discovered in trying another option that Publisher crashes. If I hit T then hit V again without making a text change Publisher crashes, every time.

I am on a MAC too, and the T’s and V’s are working perfectly for me.

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

Well, yes, sortof but try this.

1 With the Move Tool selected and a block of text selected, hit the T option and change/correct some existing text.

2 Now hit the V option so you can get the Move Tool

You would have added a 'v' to the text, not switched back to the Move Tool. I'm flicking back and forth all the time, selecting blocks of existing text to edit in a book I'm typesetting. I think the answer is to make a keyboard shortcut, Command V? 

Hi Alfred, sorry you don't like Jock but if you live in Scotland it's bound to happen. Yes, pretty good trick being in two places at once...but although I currently live in Tucson I'm an Aucklander and still work on project there. So perhaps easy to get confused but I can always tell where I am... here it seldom rains!

10 hours ago, Basil said:

Hi Alfred, sorry you don't like Jock but if you live in Scotland it's bound to happen.

I didn’t say I don’t like Jock. I merely pointed out that it isn’t my name. ;)

In my neck of the woods you’re more likely to be called Jimmy than Jock. I actually had someone ask me once, “Hey Jimmy, whit’s yer name?”

Yes, pretty good trick being in two places at once...but although I currently live in Tucson I'm an Aucklander and still work on project there. So perhaps easy to get confused but I can always tell where I am... here it seldom rains!

When I lived in Tucson for the best part of a year, very many moons ago, conventional wisdom had it that 10% humidity during the day was ‘wet’. However, there were frequent thunderstorms — often with sheet lightning, which I don’t think I’ve ever seen in Scotland — during the night, and there were dips in the roads to allow for flash-flooding.

Alfred spacer.png

6 hours ago, Alfred said:

In my neck of the woods you’re more likely to be called Jimmy than Jock. I actually had someone ask me once, “Hey Jimmy, whit’s yer name?”

I started a job and there was a fellow who was a big fan of the band Cream. He insisted on calling me Jack "Because of Jack Bruce". Led to a fair amount of confusion a la "Has anyone seen Jack?" "Jack is looking for you." "Jack will know." etc. I should mention there was a fair bit of staff turn-over so people would hunt down the 'new guy' thinking that was Jack, fortunately he stopped doing this after about 10 years. Didn't help matters in that I would respond to Jack as well as Bruce, still do.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

On 3/10/2019 at 4:06 PM, Alfred said:

@basil: Unless you want to attract the attention of spammers I strongly recommend changing your username to something other than an email address. To change it, go to your Account Settings page and click on the ‘Display Name’ link.

A comment to the forum admins/moderators: this has happened several times now with various users... you might want to see if there is a way to configure the forum software to reject usernames containing an "@" character with a warning about this?  Not sure offhand who those admins would be - @Patrick Connor, @MEB - can someone make sure the appropriate contacts see this suggestion?

• Staff

I can see any option in the forum admin that allows for that, but it asks for a list of all allowed characters.

Enter a-z for all alphabetic characters (lower case and upper case). Enter 0-9 for numbers
Example: To allow letters, numbers, hyphens and underscores, enter 'a-z0-9-_'.
Leave blank for no restrictions.

HELP: What should I type to allow any currently allowed (unicode) character except '@' ( and '<' & '>' that stop search working) I have asked Invision tech support also

All first posts are moderated and I do not approve ones that use their email address until I have changed it myself thus

theirname@email.com - > theirname

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

On 3/10/2019 at 7:31 PM, Basil said:

Sorry, didn't mention I'm on a Mac and Escape doesn't seem to work

I'm on a Mac and the Escape key does work. :)

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

21 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

HELP: What should I type to allow any currently allowed (unicode) character except '@' ( and '<' & '>' that stop search working)

What you are currently doing.

22 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

All first posts are moderated and I do not approve ones that use their email address until I have changed it myself thus

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, Patrick Connor said:

Sounds good, but as a few have slipped through, maybe should make sure all of the other moderators are aware of this policy?

On 3/11/2019 at 7:43 PM, Basil said:

1 With the Move Tool selected and a block of text selected, hit the T option and change/correct some existing text.

2 Now hit the V option so you can get the Move Tool

You would have added a 'v' to the text, not switched back to the Move Tool. I'm flicking back and forth all the time, selecting blocks of existing text to edit in a book I'm typesetting. I think the answer is to make a keyboard shortcut, Command V? 

I have tried your workflow, and of course a V is entered as text as a result. Otherwise, how else could one type a v as text? As to using command-V, that is universally the paste command. What you want to do is press escape then V. Or if text is selected, press escape twice, then V. This latter point I only just discovered and commented on in another post. My opinion is that the need to press escape twice when text is selected is needless and error-prone.

OK, I have solved the mystery...

Do same as Indesign: Hit Esq and V. It would be easier to hit Optn/V and although you can set the keyboard shortcut in Photo to do this it seems it's not possible in Publisher at this stage.