You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text import issue

Hi, 

I have the latest beta issue of APub, and I am using MS word 2010 on a windows7 64 bit professional PC.

I have set up a multipage A5 booklet with 16 pages in APub.

I then set up a text frame from top left to bottom right on Apub page 2, filling the whole of the page.

I have an A5 formatted MS word docx with narrow margins that has the text I want to appear on p 2 fully formatted and fitting nicely on the A5 docx page.

Next I copy all the text on the docx page by dragging the mouse over the whole page and selecting "copy" as there seems to be no direct import feature except for affinity files  I am not selecting any rogue returns at the bottom of the page btw as I checked that.

When this is pasted into APub the text is too large to fit inside the text frame, and about four lines are over the bottom of the page, despite having the same text font and size and the same page size. There are some different sized fonts in there and some italic and some bold stuff as well, but the font and size are shown correctly in APub when pasted.

Is this to be expected, or have I missed some vital step? Would it be more practical to import the file with no formatting and adjust it once in APub? Obviously that would kill any format from the original doc which seems a bit of a bind.

Still feeling my way up the learning cliff, but if APub prints as well as it appears on screen, MS publisher is going in the bin!

It's normally better to import unformatted text, then format it in APub. (This is the same for all DTP software!)

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

4 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

It's normally better to import unformatted text, then format it in APub. (This is the same for all DTP software!)

In applications that can map styles properly, it can be far quicker to import a .docx file (not that one can in APub) or a .doc file (which in theory APub can). But in APub there are certain issues. One generally needs to fix the file before import, at least in my experience.

My preferences is tagged text, which while is a UTF-8 or UTF-16 plain text file, contains p.style & c.style codes. It's an absolutely clean import process. A process APub also cannot do.

Mike