You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Add and Divide Freeze App

I have been playing with the newest Designer Beta and love the progress that has been made. 

In my inking process I use to create my designs, I use a vector brush to ink and intentionally overlap corners and edges of a design to get the line thicknesses I am looking for. I then expand the strokes and divide them in their entirety, so the overlap parts can be easily selected and deleted. I hit the add function to merge the pieces together and the divide again before a final add together so I can easily delete the massive number of extra unused nodes. (hitting "add" to combine to overlapping fills results in a massive collection of extra nodes underneath)
When I go to add the parts back together for the final merge and hit the "add" function, the app sucks up a tremendous amount of RAM and freezes. I understand my 12 GB of RAM is not a ton, but I can't tell if this is an Affinity Designer issue, or if I had twice the RAM, this would be fixed?

Screen Shot 2019-03-10 at 2.14.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-10 at 2.12.45 PM.png

• Staff

Hi Boldlinedesign,

We've had a few reports of the Add Operation taking a long time on lots of objects and nodes, so it is something development are aware of. Would you mind attaching your AFDesign file prior to doing the operation? I can get that passed along to development as an additional sample file for testing when they investigate the issue.

Thanks!

On 3/11/2019 at 6:43 AM, Sean P said:

"We've had a few reports of the Add Operation taking a long time on lots of objects and nodes,..."

Thanks Sean - I'll see if I still kept that file or not. It's happening again on another similar design, so I will send that one over for now in this email. In this attached email, it successfully expanded the strokes and has also divided properly, but now even when I grab small portions of the design to add together, it freezes completely. I also let it sit there for an hour "adding" and came back to it with no change :(. What I end up doing at this point is grabbing the whole thing and copy/paste it into Illustrator and divide there and streamline the number of nodes. It's a shame really, because I much prefer vectoring my work in Designer - so much more natural and fluid
You mentioned the team is looking into it - and I appreciate that. Designer seems to have an excessive number of nodes when we convert strokes to fills and then even when we add them overlapping fills together, there are massive piles of unused nodes lying around. Could this be part of the slow merge/divide process?

Red Devil Baby.afdesign

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.