You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

In trying to learn how to use the new HSL filter I have found the only way to see the hues being targeted is to move the slider to the max.  Not a great solution for me as the colours become very distorted.

Would it be possible to grey out or somehow isolate the hues not being affected for a more precise visual colour adjustment in only the targeted area(s)?  There is another application that does the grey-out process and it is very effective. 

Not sure if this topic should be here or somewhere else in the forum, but the new HSL filter is specific to this beta.

If so please feel free to move it.  

Edited by p_mac
Additional comment

• Staff

Hey p_mac,

I think this is probably more of an improvement request than a bug. It might help your case if you can attach any screenshots or examples of what is happening, what you would expect, what seems to be wrong and perhaps how another app handles it :) 

Hi Chris B,

It is not a bug but this is the first time HSL has been presented in this way and there has been no tutorials on how to use it.  

Another application I use is Capture One Pro for Sony.  It is interesting how they use their Color Editor to really be able to narrow the hue to be edited.  It is very simple to use.  So I guess this would be a feature request when they release the new version out of beta.  Although Capture one is a great editor it does not play well with Affinity Photo. It requires that a photo be exported as .tiff in order to be opened with edits by AP.  

I use it for my catalogue and am lucky that I use a Sony camera because the cost for other cameras is much more.  

Yes, that is similar to the "highlight" mode for Resolve's qualifiers - though it appears to still be limited to being used to target HSL adjustments, like Affinity is, while Resolve's qualifiers can be used as part of a mask of sorts, to target practically ANY adjustment or operation.

That flexibility is a bit more important in Resolve where operations are being applied across potentially thousands of frames of a video clip (5 minutes * 60 seconds/minute * 24 frames/second = 7200 images) as opposed to individual photos as in these programs...  but it wouldn't be unwelcome here either (apply blur to only the blue parts of the image, where noise tends to be worse, etc.)...

This process does create a mask one that can be added to or removed.   It is not so glaring in presentation.  But that was not the point of my comment.

I find using the HSL filter very confusing as I outlined above and as it is an invention of this beta it needs some use clarification. 

I really don’t want to be bouncing out to other applications.  I found Capture One Pro as I needed a good catalogue.  

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.