You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Unable to select Metal in Preferences for Photo beta only, Designer & Publisher are fine.

System information says my cards are Metal supported,  and Designer and Publisher both allow it so what is up with Photo? 

slice2.thumb.jpeg.fbf58a2b14de998fa4c365223fcf7690.jpeg

slice1.png.94e62bb9507c0257d9e0e2cdb172ff3c.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

7 hours ago, Claude_ch said:

Hi,

I have the same Mac Pro with 10.14.3 and I can enable Metal compute acceleration. Maybe is a Mac OS 10.12.6 thing ?

I hope not, I really don't want to update the OS. I just find it odd that Publisher and Designer can enable Metal while Photo cannot.

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

• Staff

We have made Affinity Photo automatically pick the best rendering technology for your system so you don't get the choice for now.

In Designer and Publisher you can pick between the 4 options depending on what works best for you. OpenGL would be optimal for most but some users, depending on spec may get better results with the other settings, i.e. Metal. 

Metal compute is primarily for filters so it isn't relevant for Designer and Publisher and it is also OS specific to Mojave and iOS 12. 

2 hours ago, Chris B said:

We have made Affinity Photo automatically pick the best rendering technology for your system so you don't get the choice for now.

In Designer and Publisher you can pick between the 4 options depending on what works best for you. OpenGL would be optimal for most but some users, depending on spec may get better results with the other settings, i.e. Metal. 

Metal compute is primarily for filters so it isn't relevant for Designer and Publisher and it is also OS specific to Mojave and iOS 12. 

Thanks for the explanation it is much appreciated. I shall now stop worrying about this.

1 hour ago, thomasp said:

with D500 cards like the OP's, running OS 10.13.6

I am a full OS back from you.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.