You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Letter/Glyph Tracking/Spacing and invisible signs

Hi everybody – I'm new her – excuse for my poor english.

I'm a professional Grafik-Designer for Print and Books, a long-time-InDesign-User and also a Teacher for software-courses (for Aff. designer/Photo and planning the first course for AffPublisher). Now I'm testing AffPublisher for som first projects – impressive. 

I noticed two little problems, which are importent for Pros with Layout:

1. When handling a mass of text in colums – I have to fine-tune the Letter/Glyph Tracking/Spacing for a lot of single rows. Typically it's done by keyborad-shortcuts (alt + left/right arrow) in steps – now by 10‰. In my opinion – this step is to large – 5‰ would be better. Or a possibility, to define your own steps in preferences, like it's possible in InDesign.

2. When working on Text on details – the display of hidden Signs (Points for Spaces – Paragraph-Sign and so on) is very important. I noticed, that there is no symbol for a forced line-break. But that would be very important – you have to find forced linebraeks.

thanks a lot 

Friedrich

980834130_Bildschirmfoto2019-03-10um15_23_24.png.4c19d358d5e365513f870d55485d0542.png

Edited by Friedrich Lux

3 hours ago, Friedrich Lux said:

Hi everybody – I'm new her – excuse for my poor english.

I'm a professional Grafik-Designer for Print and Books, a long-time-InDesign-User and also a Teacher for software-courses (for Aff. designer/Photo and planning the first course for AffPublisher). Now I'm testing AffPublisher for som first projects – impressive. 

I noticed two little problems, which are importent for Pros with Layout:

1. When handling a mass of text in colums – I have to fine-tune the Letter/Glyph Tracking/Spacing for a lot of single rows. Typically it's done by keyborad-shortcuts (alt + left/right arrow) in steps – now by 10‰. In my opinion – this step is to large – 5‰ would be better. Or a possibility, to define your own steps in preferences, like it's possible in InDesign.

2. When working on Text on details – the display of hidden Signs (Points for Spaces – Paragraph-Sign and so on) is very important. I noticed, that there is no symbol for a forced line-break. But that would be very important – you have to find forced linebraeks.

thanks a lot 

Friedrich

980834130_Bildschirmfoto2019-03-10um15_23_24.png.4c19d358d5e365513f870d55485d0542.png

There is a symbol for a forced line break.   If you are on a MAC, use Shift+Return and you will find a little blue arrow.  Don't know what it is on Windows.   As for your question No. 1 are you referencing tracking?    If so, you can define a tracking percentage using the Character Panel or in Text Styles.    Was this what you meant?

1754279854_ScreenShot2019-03-10at2_28_51PM.png.1151f2ff0302a710b7aea61c17161aa1.png

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

Hello, thanks for reply.

Question 1 – Charakter Tracking: Yes, I'm talking about this function tracking, but I (and a lot of others, I think) will use this feature by keyboard-shortcode – its a lot faster for working on long textes. The keyboadr-shortcode exists, but the assoziatet steps (10‰) are to large – better 5. Best solution would be to define my one custom keyboard-shortcode-steps in Preferences like it's possible in Indesign.

Question 2 – Yes, I'm using Shift+Return for forced line-break – but there is still no symbol – sorry. (Mac OS El Capitan, AffPubl. 1.7.0.257). Even if I use the Menu Panel Text-Insert-Breaks-LineBreak, I cant see the Sign. Also all other signs for manual breaks are not shown. Signs for Spaces or soft-hypens (for example), I can see.

Agreed. The current steps are far too large. 

701084470_SpacingShortcus.png.c18cd507972fc58cc6d1c5289d4ec33f.png

In PagePlus X9, the default stop is 1% for Alt+Left, and 0.1% for Ctrl+Alt+Left. 

I frequently use the latter for fine control applying it to the entire paragraph to prevent widows and orphans. Any negative kern value exceeding -3% is too tight, and should be avoided as far as possible. Often, I can reduce a paragraph by one line with just 0.1-0.5% of negative kerning. 

Default Spacing

1687172582_DefaultSpacing.png.196487d16178a66aae19e54b6098812e.png

1% Condensed

996343990_Condensed1percent.png.279acdd7362b15165015c78ba9fe541f.png

3% Condensed (Too tight)

1434470397_Condensed3percent.png.7d902e2047ed10866200a13eb9246759.png

AMD A10-6800K, with Radeon HD Graphics 4100 GHz

8 Gb on Windows 10 64-bit build 17763.316 •  My Free OpenType Fonts

19 minutes ago, Bhikkhu Pesala said:

Affinity Designer seems to use a different measuring system.

I wonder what different measuring system that might be! Per mille is per mille, surely?

I am not sure I am comparing like with like, but I can get the desired result with -8.0% of tightening.

Your reference to -8‰ seems to have got lost in translation.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I don't understand what your problem is with always fault-finding. In PagePlus 1% condensed = -8% of tightening in Affinity Designer. 

Maybe that would be -10% if the frames were exactly the same width. I did not measure it, I just resized it to get the same line breaks.

AMD A10-6800K, with Radeon HD Graphics 4100 GHz

8 Gb on Windows 10 64-bit build 17763.316 •  My Free OpenType Fonts

7 minutes ago, Bhikkhu Pesala said:

I don't understand what your problem is with always fault-finding.

I don’t understand what your problem is with always misinterpreting my posts! You made the observation that AD seems to use a different measurement system, which prompted me to wonder what that system might be, and you then went on to write

2 hours ago, Bhikkhu Pesala said:

I can get the desired result with -8.0% of tightening. 

to which I responded

2 hours ago, Alfred said:

Your reference to -8‰ seems to have got lost in translation.

in an attempt to point out that what the forum is showing as ‘minus eight point nought per cent’ should be ‘minus eight per mille’.

Alfred spacer.png

4 minutes ago, Bhikkhu Pesala said:

Why not simply point out that Affinity Designer uses per mille instead of percent?

Because I overlooked the fact that PagePlus uses percent! That makes more sense now, and it explains the ‘different measurement system’ issue: you used -8‰ in AD, and -1.0% (i.e. -10‰) in PP.

That clarifies without being a sarcastic PITA.

I’m sorry you’ve chosen to infer sarcasm from anything I’ve written here.

Alfred spacer.png