You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher opens blank main window

Since upgrading to ver 1.7.0.249 Publisher opens with a completely blank black main window; no title bar even. The opening splash window opens and I can select 'New Document', the New Document window opens for me to make choices but when that closes I am returned to the black empty window. Nothing can be done but to close it via Task Manager. Clicking on an existing Publisher document produces the the same empty window and freeze. I have tried ver. 1.7.0.257 and it is the same.

I am using Windows 10 64-bit ( Ver 1809 - Build 17763.316) on a dual monitor setup. I was using the version previous to 1.7.0.249 ok and created documents with it.

Thanks

Thanks JFisher. Yes, I think you are on the right track. I am using an NVidia GTX 1050 Ti graphics card with two monitors attached. I use the Surround feature of the driver software to combine the two monitors into one display. Disabling this feature and just using Windows settings  to span my desktop across both displays allows Affinity Publisher to work ok but unfortunately this results in some other programs not working well and a Task Bar on both monitors, which I don't like. Interestingly, it worked fine with Surround and Publisher before I changed my two monitors. Under the old setup, the monitors were connected via a Display Port connection & DVI connection but the new monitors are connected via an HDMI connection and a Display Port connection. As far as I can see, this is the only difference. Otherwise it is the same graphics card and same software.

I like the Surround set up, so I think I am a bit stuck. Big shame as I have been a fan of Serif Page Plus from it's inception and was liking the new Publisher. I suppose I can switch Surround off to use Publisher but then I have to set it all up again afterwards, as the settings aren't retained :(

16 hours ago, Dave E G said:

... and a Task Bar on both monitors, which I don't like...

You can turn this off. Right-click on the task bar, pick Properties. There will be a checkbox where you can turn off showing the task bar on all screens.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.