grayhaze

Pixel rendering of adjacent angular shape edges

First let me say that I'm really impressed with the progress so far on Affinity Designer. As a long-time user of the now-abandoned Fireworks in conjunction with Illustrator I'm really excited to move over to using this single application once the feature set is close to what I currently need. The only things really missing for me currently are a good contour tool (expand / shrink a shape by a given amount) and animation (which I realise probably isn't on the cards, but I can dream).

The bug I'm highlighting here is by no means unique to Designer, as pretty much every vector-based tool which can export to bitmaps suffers the same problem. However, given the awesome and precise implementation of things like gradients you've implemented so far I'm hoping that you can find a solution to this too.

The issue appears when angular (i.e. not at multiples of 90 degrees) edges of two adjacent vector shapes touch and the result is rendered in pixel view or exported to a bitmap. This is best illustrated by the attached images, one showing the outline view of capsule shapes composed of a rectangle and two half-circles and the other of the pixel output. When the edges fall exactly on pixel borders the result is a solid shape. When the edges fall inside a given pixel, that pixel is rendered partially transparent.

I realise this isn't a showstopper for most people, but I use tools like Fireworks and Designer to create bitmap graphics for retro-styled games where simple shapes are rendered with chunky pixels, and therefore precision like this is really important to me. In the past when I've come up against this I've had to manually edit the images after export to fix the issue. I'd love not to have to do this though. :)

post-10251-0-23137700-1429131291_thumb.png

post-10251-0-89133800-1429131291_thumb.png

Hello grayhaze,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

This is a known issue, and as you rightly said it's not specific to Affinity Designer but to all vector packages in general and it's due to the anti-aliasing blending in some of the background color to the adjacent edges of different shapes. This is already being looked at, but it's not something trivial to solve. Although it may be improved, i'm not sure if it's possible to ged rid of the effect completely. Meanwhile the latest Beta has introduced some improvements in this area and hopefully the addition of an anti-aliasing gamma ramp controller soon may also help to mitigate this a little more.

The latest Beta has gamma ramp and anti-aliasing ramp controls, both of which should help in adjusting the blend between foreground and background objects. Apparently a gamma of 1.0 is more realistic and fixes sloppy math...

Thanks for the quick reply MEB. :)

I look forward to seeing what you guys can come up with and I'll give the beta a try in the meantime.

2017 15" MacBook Pro 14,3 w/ Intel 4 Core i7 @ 2.8 GHz, 16 GB RAM, AMD 455 @ 2 GB, 512 GB SSD, macOS High Sierra

I did give the gamma and anti-aliasing ramp controls a go and couldn't find a combination of settings that did what I wanted. I'll keep an eye on developments and see if it improves though.

Experiencing an issue with what I assume to be an aliasing problem. Small white gap visible between shapes both in document (vector, and worse in pixel) and in output. I'm using the current beta and do not see the gamma option mentioned in previous posts, unless it's not in preferences.

Update:

I've managed to minimize this issue using a stroke on the objects. Interestingly a 0.2 weight stoke aligned inside the bounding shape reduces the effect almost completely at any scale of object.

aliasing issue.afdesign