You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is there away of creating a repeating pattern using an offset?

Affinity doesn't have an offset path feature yet but there is a clumsy workaround using expand strokes.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Just now, firstdefence said:

Affinity doesn't have an offset path feature yet but there is a clumsy workaround using expand strokes.

I don’t think we’re talking about that kind of offset! Unless I’ve misunderstood, the OP simply wants to offset copies of a pattern by the width or height of (the repeating part of) that pattern to get a seamless result, which should be easily achievable by transforming a copy and then using the ‘power duplicate’ feature.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

5 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I don’t think we’re talking about that kind of offset! Unless I’ve misunderstood, the OP simply wants to offset copies of a pattern by the width or height of (the repeating part of) that pattern to get a seamless result, which should be easily achievable by transforming a copy and then using the ‘power duplicate’ feature.

ah, penny dropped lol! just noticed the link to the video... I need more coffee 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Thanks Alfred,

That's what I'm doing now, duplicating with the handy power duplicate I found when searching for the offset thing, but what I believe the offset does that the power duplicate doesn't is split the selected in to pieces so there isn't loads of mess left hiding on the side. I also think it's more mathematically accurate somehow?

You should be able to get around the “loads of mess” problem by clipping the design to a rectangle. As for accuracy, I don’t see why power duplicating would be any less accurate than laboriously typing in the same offset values.

Alfred spacer.png

Clipping is using a shape ie. a rectangle to hide part of an image, object, pattern you do that by placing it as a child layer to the rectangle, so on the layers panel the pattern looks indented.
1532207846_ScreenShot2019-03-10at11_21_44.png.bd51643118a49b78e593aad866348995.png

7 minutes ago, istring said:

Sorry, I'm self taught so not too hot on terminology and often miss the most basic ideas! What do you mean by clipping the design to a rectangle? How do I do that?

Here’s a link to a quick visual for you. (Thanks, Alex!)

Alfred spacer.png

Hi,

If you're using Designer there is a lady on Youtube  East Coast Charm who does great tutorials for creating repeat patterns in Affinity Designer using Symbols: Create A Pattern Template In Affinity Designer

The suggestion for this kind of tool has been added to feature requests for the ipad (Designer) so not sure about desktop or Photo :Embroidering Tiny Shapes Inside a Big Shape

If you are in Affinity Photo You could use the Distort filter: Affine this behaves in a similar manner to offset in Photoshop, in PS that is what the offset filter is actually doing.

I duplicated the pattern, and used the affine filter twice, once to move it 50% right and once to move it -50% to the left. the method for overlap is the same as in the tutorial

Pattern.png.05ae7e724673abefeaa5dcd02f81f95c.png

This is a rudimentary macro that can be used on a pattern, its very basic, consisting of duplicating the layer with the central pattern and then applying the distort filter: Affine and then merging the visible layers.

if you want to fill the gaps as per the video this will be a manual job post macro.

Seamless Pattern Maker.afmacro (Affinity Photo only)

3 hours ago, firstdefence said:

I need more coffee

You are not the only one:(

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 7 months later...
On 3/10/2019 at 9:14 AM, firstdefence said:

This is a rudimentary macro that can be used on a pattern, its very basic, consisting of duplicating the layer with the central pattern and then applying the distort filter: Affine and then merging the visible layers.

if you want to fill the gaps as per the video this will be a manual job post macro.

Seamless Pattern Maker.afmacro (Affinity Photo only)

The video is no longer available. Is there another place I can view it? I am wanting to learn this method as well (total newbie here)

1 hour ago, ARTGIRLJENNL said:

The video is no longer available. Is there another place I can view it? I am wanting to learn this method as well (total newbie here)

Hi,

What you quoted is a Macro not a video, (aka an Action in Photoshop) and needs installing into Affinity Photo to utilise.