You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Orton effect, masking , add shadow

ianrb

bit of spit and polishing ; and still ''without care in the world''
1] original raw file -- just as well I have some idea about editing 9_9
2] as edited yesterday 
3] orton effect and background colours added in Affinity (yep; used the graduation tool 
Pana Fz300
847828407_201903270.jpg.a6e3e49947c014ba69f97f671200906d.jpg
472467747_201903270-1-2-1.jpg.2ce148bd7157f210dbf6af4c9136124f.jpg
522855901_2019032704orton-1-1.jpg.67d09acd3475d7c52923adc80c75e134.jpg

I have used the Orton effect for years and there many way to do it; however this is based on James's video click
Little trick to add shadow under log ONLY >add FX shadow to dog/log section >deplicute >remove Fx from bottom layer >add mask to top layer >brush away top layer to leave only the bottom part of the log and the shadow --- something I taught or perhaps retaught myself today .
You could paint in the shadow but that didn't work for me 
suggestions  comments questions welcome 

Not sure the Orton effect is really appropriate for this image in so much as, I don't think it adds much other than fuzziness.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I like the less detailed background of the original, the details on the trunk on the second one. Perhaps there's too much on the dog, poor dear looks more like an add for grooming or shampoo for dog , and he looses some dark side of his fur.

But without the dog, the second one with only the paysage with a lot of details is interesting too.

Nice work :)

thanks for your honest thoughts @Wosven & @firstdefence-- not sure I like it much now myself 9_9 . There is certainly more of a story in the original edit. Was more about trying the Affinity Orton way as explained by James; and fiddling with those gradient tools
The area behind the dog is a salty and smelly  water hole / lagoon / billabong off the Murray River.  Extremely dry here for 18 month; however that log was under flood water a few years ago. I have recorded some amazing salt patterns there 

I meant to mention the shadow under the log: >add shadow >duplicate layer >remove shadow from bottom layer >add mask to top layer >brush out the top layer to leave the still adjustable shadow 
wish I had and knew these tricks 30-40  years ago --- I had a mini lab then :)
Cheers

Kudos for the experiments Ian, got to mash it up and see what happens, all part of the creative process. ;)

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, ianrb said:

not sure I like it much now myself

Those pics are interesting, but the second one is confusing:

In the first, that's sure the main subject is the dog :)
On the second one, the landscape fights the dog to get the main focus
In the third, that's sure it's the dog!

Keep on liking them like we do.