You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Yes, this is a good idea.

Can I suggest that Serif provides three versions please?

1. A version with all blank pages.

2. A version as if a photo book but with instructions, such as, in places where an image would be, an image that has lettering that says something like, Please replace this image with an image of your own, and in places where text should be, some text such as, Please replace this text with the title of your photo book.

3. A version ready-done as a finished photo book, though in which someone can change pictures and text as he or she wishes.

That could be very helpful.

Widening the discussion, could that be done for various publication please, such as My Poems, set up so that someone who has written some poems can straightforwardly produce a document for a printshop to print out. Another example could be "My short story for a handheld device" or whatever the correct naming should be. Each time, three versions, one blank, one explaining what to do, and one a finished example.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

I think what you are asking for are two different things: @MG Vau seems to either be requesting a different layout capability for the Pages panel or a stored-workspace feature (which was previously requested a few times), while @William Overington seems to be asking for templates (which Publisher does not yet formally offer but which was also requested a few times), some of which would incorporate a currently non-existent placeholder feature (which I don't think I have seen a request for).

As to the placeholder feature, I believe that would be better served as an option in the View menu ("show placeholders for empty frames" or similar) rather than being something that is specific to a template.  That is the kind of thing that might sometimes be useful when working with pre-defined templates but which it would be important to be able to turn off.

6 hours ago, fde101 said:

I think what you are asking for are two different things: @MG Vau seems to either be requesting a different layout capability for the Pages panel or a stored-workspace feature (which was previously requested a few times), while @William Overington seems to be asking for templates (which Publisher does not yet formally offer but which was also requested a few times), some of which would incorporate a currently non-existent placeholder feature (which I don't think I have seen a request for).

Oh. I was thinking that my type 1 version was what was being requested in the original post.

When you write of a "stored-workspace feature", what do you mean please as I have not met that before as far as I am aware.

[How does none add the @ link in please? I tried to add one and I could not get it to go.]

6 hours ago, fde101 said:

As to the placeholder feature, I believe that would be better served as an option in the View menu ("show placeholders for empty frames" or similar) rather than being something that is specific to a template.  That is the kind of thing that might sometimes be useful when working with pre-defined templates but which it would be important to be able to turn off.

Well, I was thinking that it would be helpful for people who are learning or who just want to produce output without having to first learn much about how to use Affinity Publisher.

I am not sure what is the target purchasing-audience for Affinity Publisher. For example, should it include someone who would like to be an author of, say, a small book of poems who could just buy Affinity Publisher and very quickly produce something - maybe someone with little prior knowledge of using a computer - maybe just having used it for watching videos and ordering shopping.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

6 minutes ago, William Overington said:

When you write of a "stored-workspace feature", what do you mean please as I have not met that before as far as I am aware.

An option to save the positions and sizes of the various open panels and the like so they can be recalled in specific configurations that are tailored to different tasks.

6 minutes ago, William Overington said:

How does none add the @ link in please? I tried to add one and I could not get it to go.

I just type the @ character followed by the first letter or two of the user's name and a list pops up to select from.

33 minutes ago, fde101 said:

I just type the @ character followed by the first letter or two of the user's name and a list pops up to select from.

I shall try that.

Thank you @fde101

William

• 2 weeks later...

I want to adjust rows and columns for viewing all pages at once to see transitions and adjust story pacing.  Picture books are typically either 24 or 32 pages. Make the viewing/editing layout adjustable.

Perhaps, there are other layouts that could benefit from this feature?

• 3 months later...

Having some basic page layout templates for photo books is a feature sorely missing. I design and produce photo books in Lightroom, Graphistudio and other programs and most come supplied with basic layouts that can be customised. Of course you can create your own, but a professionally designed, modifiable starter kit would be a great help.