You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

No text frame support in Designer 1.7.0.258

712/5000

If I copy the text frame from Publisher and paste it into Designer, I can change the color and size of the font, but I can not change the fill and thickness of the text frame.
The top toolbar has an icon to handle the text frame but it does not work. I hope it will be launched in the next version.
  Today I was doing a project in Designer using text frames and this is great, only if I wanted to change the thickness and color of the frame I had to copy to Publisher, make changes in it, copy it and paste it into Designer again. In the long run it is very tedious, so I think that this function should be in Designer and this icon of the text frame in Designer will be active.

tekstframe.gif

The project below shows the use of text in a text frame in which you can set the thickness of the frame (frame with text copied from Publisher). Of course, you can do everything from rectangles and write text on them. But the use of the ability of the frame in the design is exquisite and should therefore be added to the Designer.

tekstwramce.png

If I have correctly understood how the Affinity range will work once the 1.7 versions have their full commercial release, this shouldn't be a problem.
You would simply switch to whichever persona provided the functionality you wanted to use - Designer, Publisher or Photo - without needing to copy/paste or move the document between applications.
For example, if you want to use the text frame functionality you switch to the Publisher persona, or if you want construction objects or isometric drawing tools you switch to the Designer persona. Just switch to the persona that does the job you want to do.
It should be as seamless as switching personas in the 1.6.x versions but you 'switch applications' instead.

I know that I can design in Publisher, if there is no other way, but it's easier for me to do projects in Designer.
Unless in the final version it will be possible to switch to the Persona Publisher mode and there will be a mode for handling text frames (left drawing), without entering the Publisher program (right figure).
Nobody knows so far, apart from Serif.

11.png

We know that Publisher has Designer and Photo personas, for those who have the Designer and Photo applications installed. We do not know how full-featured those personas are, as they're not active for us at this time.

We have not seen any sign that Designer or Photo will have a Publisher persona, so my guess would be that you would start your work in Publisher and switch to the Designer or Photo personas as needed.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Maybe we will start to see how things will be when all three applications are nearer their 1.7 commercial release. (Or maybe Serif are waiting for a 'big reveal' upon release.)
I'm hoping that all three Affinity applications will share a set of 'application persona' buttons that will allow us to seamlessly switch between the those that are installed. That would offer a really neat way of working. I think it would be a shame if only Publisher had the ability to switch.
I guess it's a case of "watch this space..."

[AD 1.7.0.258 / Win]

I also think that the text functions must become more user-friendly. Currently the Text Tool has no function. It would be very helpful if the text tool could also color the text frame.

1 hour ago, Pinnochio said:

[AD 1.7.0.258 / Win]

It would be very helpful if the text tool could also color the text frame.

There is no Text Frame in Designer. 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

It's a pity that the Text Frame will not be part of Designer. 

Especially because in Designer it is possible to make an shape and convert it to a Text Frame (Layers > Convert to Text Frame). In the beta version of Designer it is now keeping the fill and stroke settings of that shape (Very nice feature! Keeping the fill and stroke was not the case in version 1.6). But after converting, as GRAFKOM mentioned, you do not have any options to change these settings or you have to move to Publisher. And switching between applications (or personas) for only such a simple change is not very intuitive. So for now i'm using the old method and creating the shape and Text Frame as seperated layers. 

Maybe it is a possibilty to add a stripped down version of the Text Frame to Designer with only fill and stroke settings? I understand that the other settings of the Text Frame panel are primarily for Publisher. 

But most of all. Go on like this, because the applications are getting better and better!

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.