You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Paint brush, eraser tool not working

Still cannot get the paint brush, smudge or eraser tools to work in affinity photo.  I just started using Affinity Photo to respond in my document.  everything else seems to work.  I can open a new document and it works just fine, so I have obviously inadvertently activated or deactivated something but can't figure out what.  Very frustrating as everything was working great and boom, nothing.   I was going back and forth from the color selector, paint brush and smudge tools and after my last color selection it seemed like those tools just locked up.  It is not the "protect alpha" as I have checked and unchecked it a dozen times.  Also mad sure the layer was not "locked".   The color selector still works.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Attached is a screen shot of what I'm looking at.  

Screen Shot 2019-03-07 at 6.39.51 PM.png

Everything looks OK what about brush settings?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

4 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Everything looks OK what about brush settings?

You mean something besides Opacity, Flow, and Hardness? Such as something the More button would reveal?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

You mean something besides Opacity, Flow, and Hardness? Such as something the More button would reveal?

Yes, Accumulation, spacing etc the dynamics and the settings there, something has to be turned off, Alternatively create a new document and copy and paste all the layers over and see if the brush kicks in or just copy the layer that won't work over.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

7 minutes ago, Swampy Pete said:

I hit the "deselect all" square at the top with the red slash and now it is working fine. 

Then you must have had a pixel selection active, perhaps somewhere off-screen (or perhaps you had hidden the marquee explicitly). With a pixel selection active, you would only be able to paint inside that selection.

Glad you figured it out!

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I'm wresting with Accumulation myself at the moment, trying to see what it does. I've changed Accumulation Jitter in Dynamics and I can see what it should be like in the simulation above, but it's acting like a normal brush. No selection. Paintbrush works, just no accumulation jitter effect.

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

• 2 years later...

I had the same issue when cleaning an image and after reading the reactions in here I knew what I did (not). I had done some erasing successfully and then I changed to the "Flood select tool" to erase something else, but after selecting the "Erase tool" again, it didn't seem to work. But... the selection of the "Flood select tool" seemed still active. So yes, "deselect all" did the trick for me as well. 

Edited by jvandemerwe