You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Exported Tiff has wrong dpi

Affinity Photo 1.6.7 desktop on MacBook Pro OS X 10.9.5

The original file is a 1.8gig scan in tiff format.  I cropped the full size image to 4X5 aspect ratio and after working on the full size file I did the following:

flatten document, set color mode to 8 bit rgb, then Document > Resize Document... > set DPI to 300, units to inches, leave aspect ratio locked, check Resample, and enter 30 inches for the long side, short side automatically changes to 24 inches, and then resize.

Resulting document is 9000 X 7200 pixels and shows as 30" X 24" with the rulers, which is as expected.

Then File > Export... > chose TIFF, size comes up as 9000 X 7200 px, aspect ratio locked, Preset TIFF RGB 8 - bit, Area: Whole Document, and Export

Select resulting file in Finder and pixel dimensions are shown as 9000 X 7200, as expected.

Open the file in Preview and select Tools > Adjust Size... > and the pixel dimensions are, once again, 9000 X 7200, as expected.  BUT the Resolution is shown as 305 pixels per inch and the size of the image is shown as 29.51 inches X 23.61 inches.

Open the file in photoshop (CS6) and the rulers show the file to be less than 24X30 and the Image Size panel shows dimensions of 29.528" by 23.662", almost, but not exactly, the same as Preview.   The Resolution is shown as 120 pixels per centimeter, which is equivalent to 304.8 pixels per inch.

Open the exported TIFF in AP and the Resize Document Panel shows 47 dpi.

The problem repeats exactly every time I try this.

Any suggestions or help will be greatly appreciated as I can not send the file out to the print shop as is.

Thanks, Tim

And, using Exiftool to examine the exported TIFF,  the X Resolution and Y Resolution  are = 120 and the Resolution Unit is = cm.  This is exactly what Photoshop showed.  So Photoshop and Preview are reading and displaying the file correctly.  The question is why did Affinity write Resolution = 120 pixels per centimeter for a file I had explicitly set to 300 dpi?  Is there someplace else, other than Document > Resize Document...> where I should set the resolution?

• Staff

Hi TimP,

Welcome to the forums :)

We're aware of an issue currently with Metadata embedding and DPI retention. If you export your TIFF and untick Embed Metadata,  does this correctly export the image to 300dpi?

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Dan, thanks very much for your fast, and correct, reply.  With embed metadata not ticked both preview and photoshop read the file properly and exif shows the proper values fro resolution and units.  

Thanks once again, Tim

Thanks MEB, now that I've got it working properly I'll finish this project before making anymore changes.  I recently upgraded to 1.6.7; was this a problem earlier? I don't remember running into it.