You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

symbols!

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just read this thread because it was at the top of the index. What are these "symbols" you are all talking about? Serious question. I am new to graphics design so have little knowledge. Cheers

Reality is perception. Perception is reality. You are in charge of both.

iMac  |  21.5  |  Mid 2011                 MacBook Air  |  13 inch  |  Early 2015

2.5 GHz  |  i5 quad                          1.6 GHz  |  Core i5

20 GB Ram  |  10.12.6                     8 GB Ram  |  10.13.6

The artboards aren't even finished yet and you guys are already asking for symbols!??  :o

It's not Christmas yet  :rolleyes:

Hi MEB, does that mean symbols are coming on Christmas? *gg*

Just kidding … super happy with the artboards, finally being able to create multi page documents (yeah, yeah, I know, artboards are no pages, but that's how I use them) is superb!

Just read this thread because it was at the top of the index. What are these "symbols" you are all talking about? Serious question. I am new to graphics design so have little knowledge. Cheers

Symbols are reusable design elements that can consist of multiple shapes. For example, if you are designing a user interface that has multiple similar buttons you could create a button design and save it as symbol, so you can insert that symbol multiple times with just a few clicks. Also, if you decided to change the color of these buttons later on, you would edit the symbol directly and it will change in all instances of that symbol in your design.

Symbols are reusable design elements that can consist of multiple shapes. For example, if you are designing a user interface that has multiple similar buttons you could create a button design and save it as symbol, so you can insert that symbol multiple times with just a few clicks. Also, if you decided to change the color of these buttons later on, you would edit the symbol directly and it will change in all instances of that symbol in your design.

Ahh. Thank you, Kind of like Components in Sketchup ( if you know that software). Cheers.

Reality is perception. Perception is reality. You are in charge of both.

iMac  |  21.5  |  Mid 2011                 MacBook Air  |  13 inch  |  Early 2015

2.5 GHz  |  i5 quad                          1.6 GHz  |  Core i5

20 GB Ram  |  10.12.6                     8 GB Ram  |  10.13.6

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So, I've went through a sort of hell this week with Adobe. I do 90% of my work in Illustrator. This week, after their update, all hell broke loose. It lost my actions, my symbols, everything. I've spent a week dealing with chat support, email support, forums support and finally phone support. It's been a week getting things to work right again and, quite frankly, I'm exhausted. 

I'm trying Affinity now and I've discovered that the export ability of it far exceeds the abilities of Illustrator. Light years ahead.

Unfortunately, as much as I want to switch over to Affinity, Symbols are imperative to my design work. They save me hours of work. Any idea when this feature will be ready? I can't switch over until that's available, but man, do I want to. 

Thanks!

you can save a "sort of symbol" by saving the document,

then use document > place to place that "sort of symbol"

you can duplicate the placed document (the "sort of symbol") and scale, rotate, skew it or even use the live perspective distort filter in AP (not available in AD)

you can then open the embedded document and make changes, every instance will update

i´ve used this in AP to create a non destructive technicolor simulation https://vimeo.com/155520871 by referencing the base image in three groups and applying channel mixer adjustment layers to each group

you can delete the document you saved in first place because the placed document is placed (inside the main document), not linked externally

hope that helps