You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

where are my ARIAL variants gone?

Hi

in last pub beta I'm left with only one ARIAL font...
ARIAL MT regular
and cannot select ARIAL regular as it reverts back to ARIAL MT. In earlier Pub betas and in designer1.65 I could see and select all the variants of ARIAL (9 of them).

Windows 10 pro 64; HP elitebook 1050 G1; A-Designer latest; A-Publisher latest; A-Photo Latest

Not seeing that here.  I have a total of 9 variants of Arial listed and accessible.  Beta 257.

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

6 minutes ago, emmrecs01 said:

Not seeing that here.  I have a total of 9 variants of Arial listed and accessible.  Beta 257.

Jeff

thanks Jeff
Claude

Windows 10 pro 64; HP elitebook 1050 G1; A-Designer latest; A-Publisher latest; A-Photo Latest

5 minutes ago, emmrecs01 said:

I have a total of 9 variants of Arial listed and accessible.

Does that include Arial MT, Jeff? I don’t have any MT variants here, but I imagine it might make a difference for those who do. Arial Black and Arial Narrow can also cause problems.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

@Alfred

Good question!  I have only the Bold variant of ArialMT Rounded installed, but yes, that does appear in the fonts list in 257.

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

when I use the win10 font display I can see Arial (9) Arial MT (1) Arial rounded (1) Arial Unicode (1)

as my locale is Swiss french I reloaded Pub in french, same problem

Edit: the same behaviour is present in both current Beta of AP and AD
but in AD 1.65 works as intended

other multi-variants fonts work (Open Sans) as intended only ARIAL fails to show the variants in AP and AD current betas

Can you check your Windows fonts directory and see if you have any duplicate fonts installed?
For example: arial.ttf and arial_0.ttf, etc.
Have to use a tool which allows you to see the actual files, not the Windows font list interface.

You seem to have a mix of Arial fonts from Win10 and earlier Windows versions.
Some of your Arial fonts are not included it Win10.
So I am wondering if some duplicates got installed and that is confusing the new font reader in APub.

The version of Arial (R/I/B/BI) included in Win10 is v7.000 - so you can check that too.

Have you installed the Arial Nova supplemental fonts for Windows 10?
You didn't mention it so I thought I would confirm yes or no.

On Windows 7 x64 I am not having any issues in APub with the same list of various Arial fonts.

LibreTraining

Thanks a lot for your help,

everything went back to normal when I deleted Arial MT (1) from the Windows/font folder and rebooted!

it was indeed a duplicated font

Have a nice Day

Claude

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.