You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Misbehaving donut segment after substraction

Hi,

I drew a simple donut in 3 segments, once by rotating a 120º segment, and once by adjusting the parameters of three donuts on top of each other, which was considerably more effort (not sure which is better but I wanted to test both).  I then added puzzle ends (thank you for the instructions on this forum) and did a subtraction of each segment so I had the cutouts - or so I thought.

One segment has a line left, and I have as yet not worked out how to delete that line.  It's probably something insanely obvious to all you experts, but for the moment I'm stumped.

Observe in the attached the cutout in the left segment.  I copied and moved it to the right so you can see that the cutout has a line still closing the shape - and I can't get rid of it.  None of the other substractions produced this aberrant extra line, and I seem to be unable to zap it.

Now I can probably find a way to cheat this into behaving, but I prefer finding out where I made the mistake so it won't happen to me next time and learn more about how vectors work.

Anyone?

do-nuts.afdesign

Regards, Binc

Warning: dark, twisted sense of humour.  Do not feed after midnight.

Wheat and BS intolerant.  Only use genuine Guinness to lubricate.

• Staff

Hi BatteriesInc :)

Without the document history I have to make a few assumptions, but I can see the D1 Left object is a (Curves) object, rather than a (Curve) object, like Right & Top are. (Curves) objects can be divided back into the shapes that were used to create them - if you use the Divide command, select the 2 objects created and then use the Combine Command, you'll find that this line disappears and the object is now a (Curve) in the layers panel. I hope this helps!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Ah, that worked, thank you.  I'll work out at some point what actually happened.

Ah yes, history.  I put a feature request in, asking if it was possible to add an option so you choose the default on/off condition for a new document.  Especially when you're experimenting or when you have to share work with someone else it makes sense to have that default set so you can't forget it..

Thank you for the help!

Kind regards, Binc

Regards, Binc

Warning: dark, twisted sense of humour.  Do not feed after midnight.

Wheat and BS intolerant.  Only use genuine Guinness to lubricate.