You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Appearance Panel delete option does not work

In the Appearance Panel a right click will pop up a menu with Duplicate and Delete options.  The Delete option does not do anything for me.  The Remove Layer icon does work to delete the Appearance Panel layer/entry/sublayer (whatever it would be called).

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

You won't be able to delete the only stroke and Fill layers in the panel.

You can delete the ones you've added.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

You are unto something because I've just played with the Appearance Panel a bit longer and now I can't delete the Fill layer I added.

I was able to eventually delete it by clicking the trash icon in the panel and not with the pop-up menu.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

• Staff

Hi Gear maker,

Is it only the Fill layers that you can't remove? I've not found any issues with the stroke (except for a crash when deleting all strokes and trying to add a new one). However I just cannot get a Fill Layer to be removed using the right click option. I'll get that passed on to development.

On 3/11/2019 at 8:53 AM, Sean P said:

Is it only the Fill layers that you can't remove?

For me, yes, it is just Fill layers that can't be removed via the right-click popup, but it does work using the Remove Layer (trashcan) button.

On 3/11/2019 at 12:17 PM, Andrew Tang said:

This should all be fixed in the next beta! No worries. :)

Regarding that, there is a very minor issue that I hope also will be fixed: when an appearance layer is selected (highlighted), underline indicators appear, but after that when no layer is selected, the underline(s) of the last selected layer remain visible:
Underlines.jpg.a3002da396418e37dce208a841568fb2.jpg

Anything that causes the panel to be redrawn (like dragging it into or out of a panel group) removes the underlines, so it is just a cosmetic update thing, but it is just bothersome enough to trigger a minor OCD spasm in my addled old brain. ;-)

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff
12 hours ago, R C-R said:

For me, yes, it is just Fill layers that can't be removed via the right-click popup, but it does work using the Remove Layer (trashcan) button.

Regarding that, there is a very minor issue that I hope also will be fixed: when an appearance layer is selected (highlighted), underline indicators appear, but after that when no layer is selected, the underline(s) of the last selected layer remain visible:
Underlines.jpg.a3002da396418e37dce208a841568fb2.jpg

Anything that causes the panel to be redrawn (like dragging it into or out of a panel group) removes the underlines, so it is just a cosmetic update thing, but it is just bothersome enough to trigger a minor OCD spasm in my addled old brain. ;-)

Thanks for that - it is definitely the same issue then. 

With regards to the underline, how are you getting it to say highlighted? Could you record a quick video showing it please? I have a feeling it could well be OS specific, as I'm on Mojave.

Sean I'm seeing the same thing about the underline as R C-R.  I'm clicking in the blank area of the Appearance Panel below any layers to deselect all layers.  I'm on Sierra.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

3 hours ago, Gear maker said:

Sean I'm seeing the same thing about the underline as R C-R.  I'm clicking in the blank area of the Appearance Panel below any layers to deselect all layers.  I'm on Sierra.

That is the same thing I am doing on High Sierra. This only happens after selecting a layer & then deselecting it by clicking on an empty spot below the layers. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff
16 hours ago, Gear maker said:

12 hours ago, R C-R said:

That is the same thing I am doing on High Sierra. This only happens after selecting a layer & then deselecting it by clicking on an empty spot below the layers. 

Thanks! Seems I had my panel a bit smaller so didn't have a gap! I'll get this passed on to development.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.