You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Cat tool misbehaves it self

Dear cat lovers of Affinity Publisher Beta, 

This comment is about the cat tool in Affinity Publisher Public Beta 1.7.0.249 (under Windows 10 Home 1809; 8 Gb RAM)

It was a great and joyful surprise to discover the cat tool – just on my birthday !  (I’m from 1945) 

However, the tool is a rather hidden affair and has an elusive attitude. The help function says about the cat tool: “To use the Cat shape tool, you must hold the Alt key as you open the Shapes flyout. Affinity Cat will be available in the list.” It doesn’t. Pressing the Alt key (left) and the shapes fly-out simultaneously results in a fly out and a fly in of the list of shapes within 1/10 of a second but no cat tool.

I managed to put the tool separately into the toolbar and assigned a key stroke to it, but that doesn’t work either (I choose Q but other characters failed as well). Pressing the Affinity Cat pictogram shows the key stroke but the program itself does not obey. I can live with the workaround but the tool is now embarrassingly public to be seen. 

I consider the whole case rather disappointing, but maybe it is me myself to be blamed as we do have around our house a so called LAT-cat. The animal (a stray one) came this summer and I fed it with ham and bacon and since then it comes every day in the window sill and looks very accusingly into our living room until we feed it once more. It disappears after the meal in the great open to come forward the next day for its daily meal. Hence the LAT-prefix (live apart together). Some people (not the cat) think my behavior crude.

If I change my attitude towards the animal should the cat tool in Affinity Publisher will work like the suggestion in the help file? You gentlemen, self declared cat lovers, should have an idea about it.

Let it know the Publisher Beta community in general and me in particular.

Met vriendelijke groet:
Harja Blok
The Netherlands

Edited by Harja Blok
removed address

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, Harja, and happy birthday! :)

In the Windows versions of the Affinity apps, you need to hold down the Shift key, not the Alt key, to reveal the Cat Tool in the toolbar flyout. I don’t know why the custom Q shortcut doesn’t work for you: I’ve just set up the same shortcut here, and it works as expected.

By the way, you might want to consider removing your address from your post to this public forum.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

4 minutes ago, Alfred said:

In the Windows versions of the Affinity apps, you need to hold down the Shift key, not the Alt key, to reveal the Cat Tool in the toolbar flyout.

Right. That seems to be a bug in the Help file for Windows, which perhaps the Serif documentation team will fix now that it's been mentioned :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.