You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Will Affinity Publisher allow the Author and Subject fields of a PDF to be set by the end user of Affinity Publisher, and neither left blank, as at present, nor autofilled, please?

William Overington

Saturday 9 March 2019

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

• 1 month later...
On 3/9/2019 at 10:21 AM, William Overington said:

Will Affinity Publisher allow the Author and Subject fields of a PDF to be set by the end user of Affinity Publisher, and neither left blank, as at present, nor autofilled, please?

William Overington

Saturday 9 March 2019

+1.

I am working on producing a booklet PDF from someone else's text (sung File/Export). At present (Beta 1.7.0.292) the PDF Author field is automatically filled with my own name and the PDF Title field is filled with the filename.

If (on a Mac) instead of using Export I do File/Print/Save as PDF, I am prompted to enter the Title and Author Name.

The author name is remembered if I do another File/Print/Save as PDF.

It would be good to be able to set document title and author name using File/Properties, as is possible in MS Word.

Adrian

28 minutes ago, Adriandw said:

I am working on producing a booklet PDF from someone else's text (sung File/Export). At present (Beta 1.7.0.292) the PDF Author field is automatically filled with my own name and the PDF Title field is filled with the filename.

Hi @Adriandw,

I may be wrong. Look for menu 'View > Studio > Fields > Document Information'. There you can type in values for 'Author' and 'Title' and those get exported to PDF.
Is this what you are looking for?

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

@dominik

You are not wrong. I had forgotten about this thread as I seem to remember asking about this in another thread as well and there was an answer much along the same lines as your answer. I have since tried it out and it works fine. I mention @Adriandw here so that there is a notification message for him.

I am now going to try to find that other thread and put in a link to it.

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

1 minute ago, William Overington said:

I mention @adriandw here so that there is a notification message for him.

You can't just enter an @ and someone's name. You have to enter the @ and start entering the name, then wait for the forum to prompt you and select the name from the list. what you did just gets the name as text, not as a "mention" and no notification is sent.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Since build #238 You can change the contents of the Author field used in your documents "Fields Author field can now be overridden by supplying default with no documents open" All new documents should populate Author with this default set when no document is open. All existing documents will use the current default when the document is saved.

It does mean that you need to change it manually for existing documents.

1. Set the default with no document open (if you are needing to hide this field in a public document, set it to empty or a pseudonym)
  2. Change Author manually on any existing document
  3. Save the document and the default will be written to "last edited by".

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

14 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:
  1. Set the default with no document open (to empty or a pseudonym)

Why "to empty or a pseudonym"? Why not to the name of the author please?

William

• Staff
18 minutes ago, William Overington said:

Why "to empty or a pseudonym"? Why not to the name of the author please?

William

Quite right William, I copy pasted that from a reply where someone wanted to share the files "anonymously". So my reply was about that case.

I have edited the post to provide more clarity.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

On 4/14/2019 at 3:23 PM, dominik said:

Hi @Adriandw,

I may be wrong. Look for menu 'View > Studio > Fields > Document Information'. There you can type in values for 'Author' and 'Title' and those get exported to PDF.
Is this what you are looking for?

d.

Thanks, that's great. I'm still adjusting to AF Publisher's dialogue structure and hadn't investigated the Studio>Fields settings.