For the last few versions of AP I have not been able to drag guides from the rulers no matter what I tried including v1.7.0.257. Is it still possible to do this? If so, where am I going wrong?

Thank you!

Yes, I'm using the move tool. I forgot to say I have the latest version of Windows 10.

Thank you for responding to my question!

No problem here, also on the latest Windows. If Guides are disable on the View menu, dragging a new guide automatically re-enables them, which makes sense. 

Do you see the double-headed arrow cursor? Are you using Windows scaling? 

AMD A10-6800K, with Radeon HD Graphics 4100 GHz

8 Gb on Windows 10 64-bit build 17763.316 •  My Free OpenType Fonts

I think the shot above is what you meant by enabled on the view menu! I don't see a double-headed arrow cursor. The scaling in the display in Windows settings is 100% if that's what you're talking about!

I see the double-headed arrow cursor as soon as I click on the ruler.

If I hold down Alt then click the horizontal ruler, a vertical guide is created at once.

Double-headed Arrow Cursor.png

Vertical Guide.png

AMD A10-6800K, with Radeon HD Graphics 4100 GHz

8 Gb on Windows 10 64-bit build 17763.316 •  My Free OpenType Fonts

I'm not sure what your problem is, @Peg11, as I can drag both horizontal and vertical guides, and I can alt-click on the rulers to set them directly.

Could you create a simple .afpub file where you cannot drag guides and attach it for us to look at?

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1809, 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 and 1.7.0.333 Beta       / Affinity Designer 1.6..5.123 and 1.7.0.333 Beta    / Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.330 Beta