You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Layer Properties should be depreciated?

The new Layer Colour tags are superior to the old Layer > Properties > Colour because…

• They are easily visible (unlike the 1px underline of the old system)
  • They are quicker to add / change (2 clicks vs 3 clicks)
  • They can be applied to any object type (not just Layers in Designer)
  • They are available in all 3 apps.

Layer > Properties does however allow for a free choice of colour rather than the 8 choices in the new system.

Could a 9th choice be added that pops up the colour wheel?

Regardless - I suggest that the old system is depreciated to avoid duplication of functionality and the potential confusion arising.

Thoughts?

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

Could cause a problem when opening older files that use those settings?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

7 hours ago, Aammppaa said:

Layer > Properties

@Aammppaa,

where do you see this? It seems to have vanished (on Windows).

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

5 hours ago, dominik said:

where do you see this? It seems to have vanished (on Windows).

It is (and always has been) specific to (Layer) layers:

properties.png.0f4c516ef7cf75e5218b82cb74826abb.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

51 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

It is (and always has been) specific to (Layer) layers:

properties.png.0f4c516ef7cf75e5218b82cb74826abb.png

Thanks @walt.farrell,

I have completely forgotten about the 'layer only' layers. I was looking in the right click menu of all other layers (e.g. objects). There is no 'Properties...' menu entry. And most likely never has been.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

19 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

The layer colour also changes tool colour, so they’re for two different purposes. One is more useful in Designer, the other is more useful in Photo. 

Hi Mark great updates! Would you elaborate on what those differences purposes are?

thanks

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

3 hours ago, ronnyb said:

Hi Mark great updstes! Would you elaborate on what those differences purposes are?

thanks

It's up to the individual really! But as the layer colour changes your tool colour, it's helpful when you have many objects, and you're constantly changing selection (usually on document) to help identify what selection is part of what layer. On the other hand, you can tag layers in the Layers panel, for a quick visual guide (if you're going to be selecting things in the Layers panel).

1 hour ago, Mark Ingram said:

It's up to the individual really! But as the layer colour changes your tool colour, it's helpful when you have many objects, and you're constantly changing selection (usually on document) to help identify what selection is part of what layer. On the other hand, you can tag layers in the Layers panel, for a quick visual guide (if you're going to be selecting things in the Layers panel).

Not sure i know what you mean by “changes tool color” but i will explore when i get in front of the computrola....

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

Thanks for the vid, @Mark Ingram

Yes you mean objects' outlines change color to match the layer property color, which is an AWESOME feature I always use. I guess the scenario begs the question: why not add a 9th custom color picker to the current Layer Properties color selector AND add that same preset or custom color under the Visibility checkbox in the Layer Studio while matching all objects' outline colors as well? 

Can the two features not be combined? It just seems really odd having two features that are so similar and yet accessed in different ways, with different UIs.

One thing I really value in any app is consistency and simplicity where possible, and this is where Affinity began. My fear is that as it grows more feature rich it will lose the slickness and become cluttered like so many other products.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.