You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Documentation

The many videos Affinity and others have provided are very helpful and are much appreciated. However...

The help system leaves a bit to be desired (Windows). Today I was trying to figure out what modifier keys applied to the Matte brush in the Selection Refine dialog (what they were and what they did - the question arose while watching a tutorial video). The manual doesn't even mention them (although it does point out how I can adjust my brush size/width in the section where they should be listed). I find these issues everywhere in the manual. 

I need a full description of each button and slider on each panel, including modifier keys. I need to know exactly what each control does and, if germane, how it does it. For common subcontrols such as the blend mode dropdown, a section on why you might use it with this particular filter or whatever would be helpful. This is basic reference material without which learning the product becomes more difficult.

The videos are great and help in ways manuals can't, but they can't replace solid documentation.

Thank you for your consideration :).

Windows 11 Pro, XP-Pen Deco 03, AP, AD & APub

8 hours ago, casterle said:

I need a full description of each button and slider

https://affinity.help/photo/English.lproj/pages/Selections/selections_refine.html

8 hours ago, casterle said:

solid documentation.

Do you have a Workbook? The procedures how and why are described therein.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

43 minutes ago, Pšenda said:
9 hours ago, casterle said:

I need a full description of each button and slider

https://affinity.help/photo/English.lproj/pages/Selections/selections_refine.html

Point taken, but the documentation leaves me wanting more. It's frustrating to see something in a tutorial and want to know more about it, or to fill in a bit the author forgot to mention like which modifier key he was pressing, and find nothing about it. These forums and the videos help fill in the gaps, of course. And AP is such a spectacular piece of software that it's well worth the effort to figure things out.

Regarding the Workbook, no I haven't bought it. It costs as much as the software, but the real issue is the format. My office, such as it is, is tiny and a coffee table sized book - well, I'd have to go to another room to read it :). I wish it were available in electronic format or at least softcover in a smaller size.

Here's another example. I'm in a Liquify tutorial, using the Push Left Tool. I notice on the Brush panel a slider called Speed. I hit F1 and bring up help (since I'm in Liquify I'd expect Liquify help but no such luck). I search for Liquify, then click on Brush Panel. Here's what I find:

image.png.5230dad4eb4fc33f9bf059e1f871f663.png

While this may be technically accurate it is in no way enlightening. IMHO :).