You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.7.0.6)

• Staff
1 hour ago, R C-R said:

Well, I'm sure I will need to use the "Affinity" arrowhead style quite often

While it remains 60 (or perhaps it's 90) degrees off tangent I cannot see me using it except when the stroke has (almost) zero length and does not appear to extend at the wrong angle.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff
15 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

While it remains 60 (or perhaps it's 90) degrees off tangent I cannot see me using it except when the stroke has (almost) zero length and does not appear to extend at the wrong angle.

Huh? :S

Screenshot 2019-03-12 at 13.50.56.png

This is as I intended it to be - is it wrong? :/ 

2 minutes ago, MattP said:

This is as I intended it to be - is it wrong? :/ 

I think it depends on what one might consider to be the pointy part of the logo. Since it is sort of looks like the triangle end style, I more or less expected the lower right flat corner to be the pointer. But since there really isn't much need for that style, I doubt that it matters much.

Besides, if there is to be one 'special' style like that, perhaps it should be the Affinity Cat? :35_thinking:

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff
17 minutes ago, MattP said:

This is as I intended it to be

Not if you like it looking like that. I expected this. I consider our branding to have a "right way up", probably only because it looks a bit like an arrow head.

Affinity-Arrow.jpg

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

28 minutes ago, MattP said:

I may just remove it

Why not leave it in as an ‘Easter egg’, like the Cat Tool? :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff
2 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Why not leave it in as an ‘Easter egg’, like the Cat Tool? :/

That was my original plan... but if it's 'wrong' in some way then it's just going to distract people, so may have been a mis-step :/ 

3 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Why not leave it in as an ‘Easter egg’, like the Cat Tool?

They would need a "Customize arrowheads" option for that, which I gather is coming later but not here yet.

41 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

I consider our branding to have a "right way up", probably only because it looks a bit like an arrow head.

In this case, the logo part should remain upright and the line attach to it wherever the orientation happens to cause it to fall along the outside of the shape?

This gets us into the whole topic of parametric arrowheads, not sure if that degree of customization was planned for...

EDIT: would that actually be a gyroscopic arrowhead rather than parametric?  :35_thinking:

I have a question since there have been a lot of changes with the tools and reading that some options are temporally unavailable. Holding Cmd while the Pencil Tool is selected will temporally bring up the Node Tool, but I noticed it's no longer possible to add nodes or select other paths while it is in use. Was this intentionally changed? I ask because it is still possible to do both these things while holding Cmd for the Pen Tool.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

• Staff
3 hours ago, Bri-Toon said:

I have a question since there have been a lot of changes with the tools and reading that some options are temporally unavailable. Holding Cmd while the Pencil Tool is selected will temporally bring up the Node Tool, but I noticed it's no longer possible to add nodes or select other paths while it is in use. Was this intentionally changed? I ask because it is still possible to do both these things while holding Cmd for the Pen Tool.

No, I personally don't think that's right - I'll talk with Ben about it tomorrow - thank you! :)

59 minutes ago, MattP said:

No, I personally don't think that's right - I'll talk with Ben about it tomorrow - thank you! :)

Yay! It's funny how such a little thing can make a huge difference in workflow.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

On 3/12/2019 at 10:12 AM, MattP said:

It's right for horizontal separators. That's what I imagined it being used for on our webpage (for example)... It's not right for other things. It's what I imagined it would be, but there are other things to focus on, so I may just remove it...

Hey @MattP, it might be nice to allow for an "Offset" parameter to place the arrowhead beyond the end of a stroke... as well as the previously mentioned suggestion to slide arrowheads along a path and visually hide anything beyond the arrowhead....

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

On 3/10/2019 at 7:23 AM, MattP said:

...or you could use the point transform tool? (Instead of scale tool - unless there’s something you can’t achieve with it?)

Hi, Matt!

Sorry, but I do not understand what point transform tool is. But if I select several boxes of text and I want to increase the size and shape proportionally, I have to rasterize before transforming them.

I mean, I can drag a group or several ungrouped vector objects, but I do not know how to scale several blocks or text boxes at once. Only I am able to do that if I vectorize the texts before.

In the example image the second one art board is the result of dragging text. No transform, no increased size, the text boxes are displaced.

The example 2 is the result of vectorize the text (Could I vectorize text that is grouped? I have to ungroup first) and drag the text converts to vector.

As always, thanks to you for all stuff and all staff you bring to us, the mavericks designers all around the globe!!! 

Captura de pantalla 2019-03-14 11.04.19.png

Captura de pantalla 2019-03-14 11.09.51.png

Graphic designer from Bilbao (Spain) FreeHand forever. Affinity Designer rocks! - Diseñador gráfico de Bilbao (España). FreeHand forever. Affinity Designer ¡mola!

Just ran tests to see if the PDF bug has been sorted, where placing vectors inside a vector container rasterises on output to PDF - Not fixed yet - so I'm guessing the Art boards bug has not been fixed yet - where anything placed on an art board is rasterised on output to PDF as an art board is basically a vector container - it's a bit odd that vector clipping works OK but vector inside vector is broke??

Hopefully soon as I made the mistake of starting an album cover, all vector illustration in 1.7.0.5 before discovering the bug and I can't open the file in my backup of 1.7.0.4 which works great 

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

4 hours ago, krollian said:

Sorry, but I do not understand what point transform tool is.

It's great.  It is supposed to be in a popup with the node tool in the default toolbar, but for those of us who already have customized our toolbars (or maybe even just existing users?), you may need to customize your toolbar to add it.  I kept it out separately myself rather than burying it behind another tool.

4 hours ago, krollian said:

if I select several boxes of text and I want to increase the size and shape proportionally, I have to rasterize before transforming them.

Not in front of it right now, and not sure if Designer has the extra handle at the lower-right corner of the text box like Publisher does (there are two in the lower-right corner in Publisher: the one that is in line with the others resizes the box while leaving the text the same size, the one that is hanging out resizes the text along with the box)?  If not, you might need to convert to curves, but shouldn't need to rasterize.

Either way, it looks like artistic text rather than text boxes might be a better fit for what you are doing, and that can be scaled just like other objects...

• Staff
4 hours ago, Dazmondo77 said:

Just ran tests to see if the PDF bug has been sorted, where placing vectors inside a vector container rasterises on output to PDF - Not fixed yet - so I'm guessing the Art boards bug has not been fixed yet - where anything placed on an art board is rasterised on output to PDF as an art board is basically a vector container - it's a bit odd that vector clipping works OK but vector inside vector is broke??

Hopefully soon as I made the mistake of starting an album cover, all vector illustration in 1.7.0.5 before discovering the bug and I can't open the file in my backup of 1.7.0.4 which works great 

I’ll build 1.7.0.7 in the morning - it fixes that and many other things :)

3 hours ago, MattP said:

Yes, but i have to told you that even with all those "problems" i've made, and i'm still in the printing process, a window decoration project that have nearly 20 square meters :D that i will apply on saturday.

15 hours ago, MattP said:

ACE!

Been experimenting with multiple strokes on a path, and maybe I'm just real thick or something, but I can't seem to get multiple stokes to sit outside a path, only on the inside, I just thought it would work similar to Illustrator, is this a bug? as it currently functions, I can't find a use for it, so my only option is to do it the old way and duplicate the path I need to add the multi stroke and sticking behind - or am I missing a tick box or something?

Heres a quick screen grab:  

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

18 hours ago, fde101 said:

It's great.  It is supposed to be in a popup with the node tool in the default toolbar, but for those of us who already have customized our toolbars (or maybe even just existing users?), you may need to customize your toolbar to add it.  I kept it out separately myself rather than burying it behind another tool.

Not in front of it right now, and not sure if Designer has the extra handle at the lower-right corner of the text box like Publisher does (there are two in the lower-right corner in Publisher: the one that is in line with the others resizes the box while leaving the text the same size, the one that is hanging out resizes the text along with the box)?  If not, you might need to convert to curves, but shouldn't need to rasterize.

Either way, it looks like artistic text rather than text boxes might be a better fit for what you are doing, and that can be scaled just like other objects...

OK, I would like to transform several text boxes at once (grouped or not). And why I can not apply a effect (a drop shadow) for example to several text boxes at once?

The solution is use artistic text instead of text boxes?

Graphic designer from Bilbao (Spain) FreeHand forever. Affinity Designer rocks! - Diseñador gráfico de Bilbao (España). FreeHand forever. Affinity Designer ¡mola!

• Staff
8 minutes ago, krollian said:

OK, I would like to transform several text boxes at once (grouped or not). And why I can not apply a effect (a drop shadow) for example to several text boxes at once?

The solution is use artistic text instead of text boxes?

Just drag the handle at the bottom right of the selection frame - shown here:

Screenshot 2019-03-15 at 13.32.03.png

:)

Many many thanks, Matt. Details, tips & tricks. El ritual de lo habitual. Sometimes there are routines so obvious that we do not are able to see. Maybe some applications are so complex to use that our brains have a very big damage. And we know what applications are we talking about, do we?

• 2 months later...
On 3/8/2019 at 3:11 PM, MattP said:

Dashed lines aligned to corners will be coming in the future - it’s already in my plans :) Thanks for the support! :) 

Hey Matt, just wanted to ping you again and ask if this might show up in 1.7.X or should we expect it to be in a later version?  Thanks again, so far 1.7 has been a really solid release!