You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.7.0.6)

1 hour ago, MattP said:

unless there’s something you can’t achieve with it?

The point transform tool only allows the "rotation center" (around which scaling takes place) to be set to correspond to a node of the object.  The move tool has the ability to set it arbitrarily to any point, including points that are not on the shape.  Thus the point transform tool is more limited than the move tool when it comes to pure scaling, though for certain specific cases may be more convenient.

Much more significantly, both of those tools are limited to scaling the entire object, and do not allow scaling a subset of the nodes of an object.  The node tool can do that, but provides no facility for adjusting the rotation center.

Currently, I see no method of scaling a subset of the nodes of an object around an arbitrary point.

5 minutes ago, >|< said:

The fulcrum of the Point Transform Tool can be dragged anywhere.

So it can...  thanks, I did miss that option.  I had only noticed the option to click on a node to place it.

This still doesn't account for scaling a subset of the nodes of an object around an arbitrary point, however.

• Staff
20 minutes ago, fde101 said:

So it can...  thanks, I did miss that option.  I had only noticed the option to click on a node to place it.

This still doesn't account for scaling a subset of the nodes of an object around an arbitrary point, however.

The Node tool's transform mode will allow you to view and edit the rotation centre in the future... :) 

I like that the point transform tool can both rotate and scale at the same time. I mapped it to the 'S' key. So hitting "A" then "S" gets me to it quicker than going to the tool panel.  Thanks for this tool!

4 hours ago, retrograde said:

Thanks for the range of arrowheads as well.  I guess the next thing would be the option to create and use our own art for custom arrowheads? But this is a great start!

Symbols would be a natural mechanism for managing arrowheads

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

How did I miss the Appearance panel, when did we get that?! That's awesome!

Edit 1 - A thought...Would it be possible to just click once to change a fill or add a stroke? Currently it looks like you have to click on (target) the item first then click again on the fill or stroke icons to get the popup. Would be better/quicker to get to it in the first click I think.

Edit 2 - Will the "effects" eventually show up in the appearance panel as well, would be very handy to be able to click on the "fx" icon to adjust an effect? 

• Staff

Hi Kevin,

We originally had it so that it was a single-click to edit, rather than requiring a selection prior to editing and it actually got in the way as there were less areas to just 'click' and select the current line/fill without activating something... maybe we'll look at it again in the future? :)

Also, 'Effects' will appear in that list in the future, but we need to do a little work to allow us to arbitrarily interlace effects with the object draw in between/above/below lines, fills, etc...

Matt

8 hours ago, MattP said:

Hi Kevin,

We originally had it so that it was a single-click to edit, rather than requiring a selection prior to editing and it actually got in the way as there were less areas to just 'click' and select the current line/fill without activating something... maybe we'll look at it again in the future? :)

Also, 'Effects' will appear in that list in the future, but we need to do a little work to allow us to arbitrarily interlace effects with the object draw in between/above/below lines, fills, etc...

Matt

Actually Matt, I'm sort of getting used to the second click now that I'm using it a bit. But it might be worth more exploration...

I was thinking about the effects as well and wondering how it would work if you had more than one effect applied to an element... would you stack each in the appearance panel like in illustrator? Then I guess you'd need to name each effect to make it easy to identify at a glance which effect you need to click on...

Great work though! Having the appearance panel now lets me close the colour, swatches, strokes and hopefully soon the effects panels for a much cleaner UI. :-)

The new stroke arrow options are great, but am I just missing something or is there (as yet) no "simple" end option like below?
1768037828_arrowend.jpg.f4d8c7781b7a89a3ccdb5e6d5bbec9f6.jpg

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, MattP said:

Hmmm... no, we don't have one like that yet, but maybe we should... :)

Yes, you should! As you may recall, DrawPlus had (and still has) lots of them.

post-8358-0-19013800-1484938330_thumb.png

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

11 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Yes, you should! As you may recall, DrawPlus had (and still has) lots of them.

I get that this is a work in progress & eventually we will get custom end styles, but for now what I would like to see is a "flip" (or maybe even "rotate 90° ") button, sort of like the swap ends button, in the panel that would make for a shorter & easier to manage list. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

4 minutes ago, MattP said:

I deliberately don't want a hundred 'novelty' items - they're an unusual case and I'm happy for the user to be allowed to create those themselves in a future version. For now, I want the actual useful '99% of the time' cases...

I completely agree that we don’t need ‘splats’ or those curly things: they just happened to loom large in the old screenshot that I reused here. However, a few simple choices of ‘flight’ for our arrows would be very welcome. :)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

48 minutes ago, MattP said:

I deliberately don't want a hundred 'novelty' items - they're an unusual case and I'm happy for the user to be allowed to create those themselves in a future version. For now, I want the actual useful '99% of the time' cases...

Well, I'm sure I will need to use the "Affinity" arrowhead style quite often .... :72_imp: xD

Affinity Photo