You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.7.0.6)

• Staff

Purpose: Features, Improvements, Fixes

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Designer

Mac App Store: Not submitted

Download: Here

SPECIAL NOTE: The files created by this new version of Designer 1.7.0.6 will not be compatible with earlier version of Affinity (Designer, Photo or Publisher). You will need to wait for an update to Publisher or Photo 1.7 Beta for compatibility! Please do not use this version if you will be adversely affected by this temporary lack of cross-product compatibility!

Hello,

We are pleased to announce the immediate availability of the beta of Affinity Designer 1.7 for macOS.

Designer 1.7 is a significant change to the currently shipping 1.6 version. Files edited in this version will not be backwards-compatible with the shipping 1.6 version. As such, we would not recommend using this 1.7 version for critical or production work at this stage. It is inevitable that there were will be a number of issues with 1.7 but we hope these will be minor and aim to resolve any issues very quickly, so please use it and explore the new features, but also do keep in mind that you may find snags and we would appreciate your help with finding and reporting these to us.

If this is your first time using a customer beta of an Affinity app, it’s worth noting that the beta will install as a separate app - alongside your store version. They will not interfere with each other at all and you can continue to use the store version for critical work without worry.

It’s also worth noting that we aren’t done yet - we are still working through reported bugs from previous releases and hope to fix as many as possible before the final release of 1.7.

With all that said, we hope that you will enjoy the new capabilities introduced in this initial release and we look forward to any and all feedback you give to us.

Many thanks,

Matt

Please refer to previous beta updates for a full list of all changes to date. This latest update builds on the 1.7.0.5 changes and also includes the following changes:

Appearance panel should now work correctly on older version of macOS

Arrowhead flyout should draw better for older versions of macOS

Pen and Node Tool changes:

- Hit-test the on-curve nodes in preference to off-curve nodes

- Added ability to redrag any selected node in the Pen tool

- Click an end curve node in the Pen tool to remove any trailing handle (so the next segment will be a cusp), Alt/Option-click it to remove leading and trailing off-curve handles

- Improvements to restart drag (holding space bar)

- Create straight line segments when starting new curves with Ctrl pressed during the drag

- Node Tool selection box mode acts like the normal mode if only one node is selected

Point Transform Tool tweaks - dragging the object anywhere inside it will snap the focal point rather than attempt to snap the object box - very useful tweak :)

"Lock Guides" added to the menus: This affects both tool and ruler editing/creation of guides

PDF import fixes

On-document Grid 'widget' (to adjust origin and scale) now only offers full editing in Move Tool (to remove accidental adjustments in other creation tools) and only if the document doesn't have a cube grid setup

Fix for Printing constraint group objects with multiple lines/fills

Fill flyout no longer has a 'None' tab - instead this is just replaced with a simple 'None' button next to the colour picker on that flyout

Assets panel now allows items to be expanded again (oops!) ... :/ 

Lines with arrowheads are now drawn correctly in the context menu line preview area

Multiple lines with arrowheads will now draw each arrowhead in the wireframe outline view mode

Gradient fills on a stroke with arrowheads now draws correctly

Polycurve objects now correctly draw arrowheads on each of the curves

Temporarily remove the 'construction mode' button in Node and Pen tools.. construction mode will return in a different form in the future! :)

Fix for entering font name in the search area of the font dropdown causing the text to overlay the font name previously shown!

Note: I am still aware of a temporary change which caused reduced performance on certain large documents and incorrectly rasterised vector exports. This will be dealt with shortly. Sorry for any inconvenience in the meantime :( 

I was hoping the point transform tool would allow a quick power duplicate of object based on other objects center. I tried to CTRL+J this and it wouldn't work, it only made duplicates in place. Could we please have this functionality?

Question: why are the new beta's not recognised when i use the Check for Updates menu item in the current beta of AD? I prefer that option because it's so much faster than downloading the whole beta file. If it works, of course.

This has happened quite a few times already, so i'm wondering why.

Affinity Photo - Affinity Designer - Affinity Publisher | macOS Sonoma (14.2) on 16GB MBP14 2021 with 2.4 versions

5 minutes ago, brook27 said:

If you draw a line and place arrowhead at one or both ends, when you draw a shape from the shape collection there are arrowheads on the shape. Is this correct?

Screenshot 2019-03-08 at 16.55.18.png

I think this is correct because you are applying one type of stroke that will be repeated in the next shape you start drawing. I think that is the normal behaviour even in 1.6, but only with stroke.

3 minutes ago, RNKLN said:

Question: why are the new beta's not recognised when i use the Check for Updates menu item in the current beta of AD? I prefer that option because it's so much faster than downloading the whole beta file. If it works, of course.

This has happened quite a few times already, so i'm wondering why.

They are testing the betas here in the forum to see how it goes, and when they feel that is stable enough they put them on the auto-update feature!

• Staff
1 hour ago, evtonic3 said:

I was hoping the point transform tool would allow a quick power duplicate of object based on other objects center. I tried to CTRL+J this and it wouldn't work, it only made duplicates in place. Could we please have this functionality?

I think Ben is doing this next :)

• Staff
7 minutes ago, dcarvalho84 said:

They are testing the betas here in the forum to see how it goes, and when they feel that is stable enough they put them on the auto-update feature!

Exactly. As I also mentioned above, there’s no compatible version of Photo or Publisher right now, so if I push this version through the auto-updated, I’ll get a lot of unhappy people... when there’s compatibility then there’s no reason not to... :)

• Staff
2 hours ago, Moz said:

Great work guys! I am pleased to see desktop Designer getting some love!! May I ask if any progress on fixing the bleed omission in PDF export?

It’s in our bug report database and is assigned for fixing... just waiting to see it get done now...

4 hours ago, MattP said:

Temporarily remove the 'construction mode' button in Node and Pen tools.. construction mode will return in a different form in the future! :)

Is this in a future 1.7.0 release beta or more like 1.7.x (where x > 0)?

4 hours ago, MattP said:

Assets panel now allows items to be expanded again (oops!) ... :/ 

:D

Designer keeps getting better and better, I'm almost completely able to move my work over from an aging copy of Illustrator CS6.  One item I would love to see incorporated is the option for dashed lines to allow for dashes to be aligned to corners and path ends.  I use this a lot when drawing dashed lines in technical drawings as I get a much cleaner result.  Is this something that might be added to Designer at some point in the future?  If not I'd love to formally put a request in for it :) Thanks!

• Staff
12 minutes ago, Mike Hermes said:

Designer keeps getting better and better, I'm almost completely able to move my work over from an aging copy of Illustrator CS6.  One item I would love to see incorporated is the option for dashed lines to allow for dashes to be aligned to corners and path ends.  I use this a lot when drawing dashed lines in technical drawings as I get a much cleaner result.  Is this something that might be added to Designer at some point in the future?  If not I'd love to formally put a request in for it :) Thanks!

Dashed lines aligned to corners will be coming in the future - it’s already in my plans :) Thanks for the support! :) 

• Staff
41 minutes ago, >|< said:

Thanks! However, I can no longer move guides by dragging inside the rulers with tools other than the Move Tool (I do have the guides unlocked when trying to do that).

I’ll look into it, thanks :) 

9 hours ago, dcarvalho84 said:

I think this is correct because you are applying one type of stroke that will be repeated in the next shape you start drawing. I think that is the normal behaviour even in 1.6, but only with stroke.

1.6 does not have arrowheads.

Personally I'm not convinced that arrowheads on a closed shape make any sense at all, as in theory the closed shape does not have a start or end node (it obviously needs to internally, but logically it makes no sense).

In QuarkXPress for example, if you create a close shape the option to select an arrowhead is not presented - you can't even apply one to a closed shape.  If you create an open shape and add them, then close the shape, the arrowheads are removed.

If the newly created shape were an open shape, then carrying the stroke forward from the previous one would explain the arrowheads.  The problem is that the shape is closed and therefore should not have them regardless.

Hello @MattP
Hello everyne

Happy i've updated my ADesigner without any problem.
I'm off a project now but will give test in my soon to be released content and revert here is there is bug etc...

Huho !
Just noticed noticed the Asset Studio react a bit slower than in previous version, from the time i unfold a category till a time it fully display, takes quite time.
Possibly file format causing that.

That's all for now !

Blessings.

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

• Staff
7 hours ago, ajharok said:

Expand stroke still not fixed :( Will it be in 1.7 or we have to wait for this crucial function to work as it should till 2.0 or later?

I mentioned before that I’m trying to get Designer iOS to the same level as desktop right now and as soon as I’ve done that I’ll use all my available time to try to sort out expand stroke and geometry issues - but that all depends on how much time I have left... I’m working as fast as I can :)

I gotta say that the Point Transform Tool is wonderful. I didn't try until today (on Windows), and I fell in love with it instantly. :)

Best regards!

Is there any chance we will ever get a dedicated scale tool? I mean, select anything, objects or nodes, click to set origin and drag to scale (shift-drag to constrain proportionally). To me it’s industry standard. The current scaling options and the new node tool are interesting but limiting.