You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

.netframe 4.7.2

Can we install Affinity 1.7.* on Windows 7 (with .netframe 4.6.*) ?

( Can we install AD1.7.* on Windows 7 without .net4.7.* ?)

.net 4.7.* makes many troubles and I don’t want to install it, since some applications don’t work properly with it.

If AD 1.7.* requires .net 4.7.* on Windows 7, I will NOT install AD 1.7.*.

Pls understand compatibility problem of .net4.7.*...

I don’t think it is NOT acceptable solution for AD on Windows 7.

Hi @jetstorm, unfortunately due to a bug with the latest version of Microsoft's Visual Studio, we are being forced to move to 4.7.2. Building with Visual Studio causes a crash in the CLR with 4.6.2 (but there is no crash with 4.7.2). We can't work around the bug, and it would mean that we are forever locked in to an old version of Visual Studio if we wanted to keep supporting 4.6.2.

Also, in January 2020, Microsoft will officially end support for Windows 7, so at that point you will be on a legacy operating system that no longer receives patches from Microsoft. As such, we recommend upgrading to Windows 10 (which already ships with 4.7.2 or later, so this whole problem goes away).

What applications have trouble with 4.7.2? Is it not more suitable to ask the developers of those application to make fixes to be compatible with the newer versions?

Edited by Mark Ingram
Corrected date

Thanks, but very sad news from Affinity.

We’re still using Windows 7, because it is more stable than Windows 10, and we don’t get headache from Every 6 months Upgrade. Many design houses/companies are using Windows 7 still now, as you know. To keep stable working environment and workflow is more important than OS upgrades.  For ex., some companies are still using Adobe CS2/CS4/CS5.5/CS6, as you know.

Some 3D CG applications don’t work with .net 4.7.*, because of its compatibility problems.

Very unfortunately, we cannot accept.net 4.7.*.  So, we will not install AD 1.7.*.

It may be a good solution for Affinity, but very sad solution for our atelier.

AD 1.6.* has many uncomfortable bugs and not stable sometimes, some are solved in AD 1.7.*... (Affinity should release hotfixes of 1.6.* before 1.7.*, I think, and it is more user friendly.)

We will use AD & AP as sub-tools, and will not use 1.7.* or later.

Thanks.

2 hours ago, MikeW said:

According to MS, the new requisite .net will run on Windows 7 Service Pack 1

Yes, it will install and run (.NET 4.7.2), @jetstorm is saying that he doesn't want to install it.

3 hours ago, jetstorm said:

Some 3D CG applications don’t work with .net 4.7.*, because of its compatibility problems.

Very unfortunately, we cannot accept.net 4.7.*.  So, we will not install AD 1.7.*.

AD 1.6.* has many uncomfortable bugs and not stable sometimes, some are solved in AD 1.7.*... (Affinity should release hotfixes of 1.6.* before 1.7.*, I think, and it is more user friendly.)

We will use AD & AP as sub-tools, and will not use 1.7.* or later.

@jetstorm, why don't you contact the developers of "Some 3D CG applications" and ask why they don't support .NET 4.7.2? Why is it Serif that must ensure we work on old, outdated versions of .NET, just so the "3D CG" developers don't have to be compatible with newer versions? 

I'm sorry you feel this way, but if you wish to remain on 1.6, that is up to you, but we will not be issuing hot fixes. 

Hi, Mark,

I’m very disappointed and sad to hear that Affinity doesn’t understand what working environment of professionals is.

Some Applications, yes, some applications, but we use them with many and various plugins, etc... Do you understand how difficult to establish stable workflow in Real World ?

It’s not so simple in Our Real World, may be Affinity cannot understand.

At least, Affinity Should release  hotfixes for Not Respondig Error on Windows or other major bugs, before AD 1.7, if Affinity has Some Good Policies of Professional Graphic Biz(Before wrote Some Apps..., Affinity should do release hotfixes. Even if Affinity requires .net 4.7.*, major bugs remain, still remain in 1.7...)

I understand Something Different in Affinity which I couldn’t find in the past.

Thanks again.

Hi @jetstorm, I think you're missing my point - why is it up to Serif to ensure that Affinity applications work with old and out-dated software? Why not ask the developers of your other applications why they won't support .NET 4.7.2? What about contacting Microsoft to ask if they will fix the bug in their Visual Studio (which is causing the crash in .NET 4.6.2)?

My apologies, but as I said above, we will not be issuing hot fixes for 1.6. If you want an update to 1.6, you will need to update to 1.7.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.