You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

A few infrareds

Jörn Reppenhagen

I was told this is a horrendous picture. Depends on the point of view. :)
I find it quite interesting for two different aspects:
1) Original photo was pretty blurred, still it was possible to recover a lot of details.
2) The blueish background makes the motive appear like warm-colored - while it's pure b/w grayscale.

Fujifilm X-T20 + Fujinon XF 18 55 mm , cheap (7,50 €) Neewer IR filter, 720 nm

DSCF5010 - M-2 - L7b.jpg

Edited by Jörn Reppenhagen

Yes, this is infrared. :D I'll attach a small version of the original photo right out of camera.

I found it highly interesting as I realized all that intense colors were still in the photo.

DSCF3002 - M2-b.jpg

DSCF3002-klein.JPG

Edited by Jörn Reppenhagen

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Joern, good results, i have a converted camera with a cut at 720nm. I come from Gimp/Darktable (Linux OS) and I'm new to recent Pro software on Windows. I'm trying to find a productive workflow for IR images development in Affinity (i also use DXO Photolab). Could you tell my where to find any Affinity tutorial about this subject?

Thanks.

Until now, I've used Nik software for my B&W (including IR) processing. This same software can be added to Affinity Photo as a free plugin. How-to instructions for adding the plugin are available in these Affinity forums.

I have a free IR book in my on-line eBook Library (all made with Affinity Publisher, by the way).

Also, there are numerous IR articles in my Photo Improvement blog (use the blog's search box). Finally, on this same blog, there's a 12-part Silver Efex Pro 2 tutorial which includes a Workflow section.

Hope you find this useful.

On 3/8/2019 at 3:46 AM, Jörn Reppenhagen said:

I was told this is a horrendous picture. Depends on the point of view. :)
I find it quite interesting for two different aspects:
1) Original photo was pretty blurred, still it was possible to recover a lot of details.
2) The blueish background makes the motive appear like warm-colored - while it's pure b/w grayscale.

DSCF5010 - M-2 - L7b.jpg

All these images are wonderful, but I find this one grabs me like none of these others.

Now for the dumb question. I'm not a photographer so I wonder, are infrared images captured with a special infrared camera? My understanding of infrared is light outside (below) the visible spectrum so it seems special hardware would be required...

Windows 11 Pro, XP-Pen Deco 03, AP, AD & APub

5 hours ago, EdK said:

The eBook that I referenced will answer all of your questions - and more (and yes IR requires camera modifications and/or special lenses - and techniques). You can read the book in about 20 minutes and know all that you need to know.

I'd missed that. Thank you.

Windows 11 Pro, XP-Pen Deco 03, AP, AD & APub